Where To Buy Spirit Of Salts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to descale the plate heat exchager on my boiler this weekend. Where can I buy spirit of salts from?

Also, how long should I leave the SOS in the exchanger for?

Will it damage the metal if left too long?

Will SOS also clean the primary side of the P Hex - not that I think that side is a problem?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
toolstation
10-20 mins diluted 50 % (search for cleaning p hex on here)
yes but how long is too long?
not necessary, the advice on here is to put hot water in that side to increase the effect of the SoS in the other side
also spend time flushing and tapping the sides to dislodge/remove the material youve made loose.
if you think about this time taken you can see why repairmen put a new one on, quicker and better

Try caustic soda it's not so severe

caustic soda's an alkali.

limescale's an alkali.

To get a reaction and dissolve the linescale you need an acid. Popular ones for descaling are hydrochloric (spirits of salt) or sulphamic.

Caustic soda or any alkali is a degreaser not a descaler.

Sponsored Links
There are plenty of descaler products available. Putting a new heat exchanger in will not clear blockages in other parts of the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back