Which cable to run 13A socket off ring for elec. oven?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title.
I need to run a switched socket from a ringed socket for an electric oven which has a 13A plug. What size cable should I use to connect the new single socket to one of the doubles on the ring?

n.b. I won't be increasing the load as I'll be plugging the oven into the new socket rather than the one on the ring, leaving the old one redundant other than for the microwave already connected to the double ringed socket.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. I wasn't sure if it was overkill for a 13A socket.

Some cable I found is blue & brown, while others are red & black. Is either one regulation or doesn't it matter?

It is overkill for a single socket but you may as well use it.

You will only be able to buy Brown and Blue from reputable sources .

If you have found Red and Black it will very be old stock - ebay perhaps.

Sponsored Links
Got it, thanks.
I think it was the red & black I saw in my walls. I may as well buy the cable from Screwfix as they're one of the cheapest at the moment. £15 for a 25m reel.

Got it, thanks.
I think it was the red & black I saw in my walls. I may as well buy the cable from Screwfix as they're one of the cheapest at the moment. £15 for a 25m reel.
If you don't need so much go to a wholesaler such as yesss, who will supply it by the meter

It does depend on how far the point where your tapping into the ring is from the consumer unit. If central then no real problem any overload will trip the consumer unit trip so fails safe. However there is a directive in the appendix which suggests over 2kW you should use a dedicated supply. The problem is if you have a load of high loads towards one end of the ring then one leg can exceed the 22A limit before the other leg hits 10A so one leg can become over loaded before you reach the point where the MCB will trip.

Small items like a kettle are not a problem because the time it takes to boil is short, an immersion heater is a big problem because it runs for a long time. Although it says fixed over 2kW in real terms the dishwasher is OK because the heater is used for such a short time, and tumble drier or washer/dryer is nearly as bad as the immersion heater.

The over does depend on type, most do not take long to heat up, so soon start to cycle, but there are some which do take power for an extended time, the range type for example.

Also any fuse gets hot, it's how they work, so any fuse holder must be able to get rid of the heat, a fused connection unit (FCU) puts the heat into the wall, and can in the main get rid of heat better than a plug (with a fuse inside), a plug should be in free air, although where the oven fan cools the plug there is no a problem, but putting a 13A socket where the plug will not get cooled is a problem.

With a dedicated supply since the MCB will likely be 16A it does not need a fused plug and nothing to stop up using a 15A socket and plug which are not fused, it was common at one time to use them in the airing cupboard to feed immersion heater, no fuse so no heat.

I am not saying you can't plug an oven into a ring final, but if you do the loads should be considered.

Wilco even sell by the meter if you want short lengths, just cut it yourself and just tell them at the till what size and length it is.

In my defence, the android autocorrect frequently tries to embarrass me by choosing the wrong word. It really struggles with "there" and "they're" too for some reason.:p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back