Which roofing membrain or underlay to use?

Paz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My roof currently has no membrane or underlay so can anyone recommend what type I should use when I get roof replaced as there is a number on the market, ie lightweight, medium or heavyweight breathable membrane or non breathable or underlay non-permeable or vapour permeable?

Sponsored Links
Every single roof we do nowadays we supply and fix a breathable underlay such as Tyvek Supro or Klober Permo Forte.

It is a very very rare occurrence to see a spec for non-permeable now.

There are some cheaper membranes available as you say such as the lightweight ones but these are more suitable in fully supported applications such as directly over insulation boards, whilst it can cost about £50 per roll more to have the stronger membranes it is worth it in the long run as they are less likely to tear at the nail-hole or have a slipped foot put through them and they are a damn sight easier to handle if a breeze picks up

It seems that there are many more breather membranes available now than a few years ago, and if its got a BBA certificate then there may not be much difference in performance once installed

Sponsored Links
i tend to use tyvek or proctor roofshield never had any major problems with either had a few problems with monarperm but nothing serious

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back