Which tape would be best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can someone offer any advice, which one of the below would be best for me.

It's for a felt roof shed, and i'm planning on putting 6x1 of the sides (overhang) to make it look much neater. Now there will be a slight gap on the top between the flet and the wood. I'm having a 1" gap above the roof line so the tape will join to this.

Will the felt tape work

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100398&ts=15855&id=17053

Or the Flashing tape

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100398&ts=15618&id=94496

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think I know what you mean, I take it that the felt will be behind the 6"x1", if so, could you not run a sealant in between on the corner. Another idea is to use a upvc L-shape fascia board upside down and sealant under the L-shape to the felt maybe.

The 2nd link of the flashing tape, forget it as it's no good in cold temperature, the 1st link I'm not sure about but if it's the same as in denso tape then that's the better choice

Hi Mas,

Yes it will be like this

Timber-> []*--------- <-Roof line

So where the * is will be a few mm gap, i dont want to use sealant as would like a neat finish, so thinking the tape would be better.

So what tape would you recommend? And what does the pvc look like?

I was thinking using upvc fascia board upside down with the sealant under the L-shape onto the felt.

The waterproof tape are okay but not sure how it will cope the expansion of the wood.
9mm_Fascia_Boardlo180.jpg

Sponsored Links
Used the waterproof tape it stuck to the wood really easy (it's very sticky stuff) had a problem of it sticking to the felt. But managed it in the again and worked ok. Soon know when it starts to rain.

My thoughts on that sealant tape you eventually used can't be printed.
I'll be suprised if the tape lasts all summer if the suns on it all day it dries out something rotten and starts lifting.

I have always used the 'flashband' alluminium foil bitumen based. Use always with the primer and a hot air gun on low with quick passed and a wall paper roller I've re-flashed many outbuildings with this and over 6yrs passed and not a sign of detariation. The first stuff is a temporary tape or short life as long as it's not in direct sunlight.

A tidier job would be to overlap the felt and fix the batten to the overlap with a mastic strip closing the joint which looks much neater than flash tape or flashband strip and would 'weather in' in no time. I know I've done both for neighbours and the on who insisted on the flashband admitted the sealant looked tidier.

Greengrass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back