who does not speed

there *are* few people who stick religiously to speed limits, me included.

motorways do not have many children dawdling about on them.

when i was younger there were fewer speed restrictions, so speeding was rife.

i guess that now that i have children i realise that they can be killed by an inconsiderate driver, one that wants to go faster than he should. as Softus has said, (and i concur) in urban areas you will not gain an awful lot by driving like a nutter.

but you can help prevent tragedy by driving considerately.

i do believe these days we are spoon fed health and safety, and have nonsense restrictions rammed down our throats on a daily basis. but 'common' sense suggests some rules are for the 'common' good.

edited from 'a' to 'are'. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
do believe these days we are spoon fed health and safety, and have nonsense restrictions rammed down our throats on a daily basis. but 'common' sense suggests some rules are for the 'common' good
Agree 100%..............but I can think of someone who might not!!

aspley, try and keep your emotions in-tact. ;)

i have not tried to turn this topic into a "i'm holier than thou" crusade but highlighted my concerns.

i just believe that, particularly in urban areas, going faster than you ought to can be irresponsible and end up killing someone.

it is a VERY selfish thing to do.

I just believe that, particularly in urban areas, going faster than you ought to can be irresponsible and end up killing someone.
But, statistically, by far the biggest percentage of people who break the speed limit will never have an accident and certainly not kill anyone ... Conversely, people who drive badly within the speed limit are far more likely to have an accident.

As I keep saying, it isn't just about speeding.

Oh, and whilst we are on the subject, there is a World of difference between someone who breaks the speed limit (say 40mph in a 30mph zone) and someone who
drives like a nutter.
MW

Sponsored Links
Oh, and whilst we are on the subject, there is a World of difference between someone who breaks the speed limit (say 40mph in a 30mph zone) and someone who Quote:
drives like a nutter.

Their one and the same in my book

i agree MW.

my bones are with those drivers who speed, AND drive like a nutter.

i think young people react like lightning. my reactions and senses have been deadened by time. i can not react as quickly as i did when i was 18 yrs old. so, i drive within my capabilities.

pedestrians are clueless as to who is about to come around the corner.

Mine too.

I am far less tolerant of people who drive dangerously than people who drive above the speed limit as these people are the ones who cause accidents.

The collected thoughts of chairman Mega who said:
-I break speed limits because I get bored driving within them .

-And, yes, I DO condone speeding ... I'd have far less grief if everyone drove as fast as me.

-Until they do, I will continue to drive as I please and the more ways I can do so and not get points the better AFAIC.

-For the record I'm not defending anything I've just stated a fact ... I break the speed limits on a regular basis and I'm comfortable doing so

-I often drive at 90mph or so on motorways and have no problem whatsoever with people flying past me on bikes or in cars.

-This issue IS NOT on my radar of things to worry about and nor, I suspect, will it ever be.

-Oh ... And I drive a 2.4 Honda Accord ... Not a van (of any colour).
Think I might give Devon a miss this year

Aspley wrote:
Think I might give Devon a miss this year
That's the most sensible thing you've posted thus far ... One less tourist driving like a prat at 20mph cos they're not used to country roads has to be a good thing.

I live in devon and i'm a bit concerned.
Don't worry ... It's a big place :LOL:

Government statistics show that life expectancy in Devon is 10% below the national average
Due in no small part to the number of lily white skinned, overweight, balding, high blood pressure'd old gits from the West Midlands who retire down here to die.

And, before they do, to drive around our beautiful countryside at 25mph f***ing everybody off and giving the moorland wildlife a damn good laugh.

Wonderful things statistics.

MW

jefoss said:
if you look back softus i openly admitted i speed and when and were and why
I choose not to look back.

i however do not condemn others who do the same, so mr know **** all
If your comment is with reference to my comment about people who pile past a queue and then push in, to gain merely 8 seconds, then I don't follow the reasoning that leads you to be abusive towards me. Unless of course you're one of those people who push in. :D

I don't criticise everyone who speeds - only those who think that it will shorten the journey time every time.

I happen not to place as much importance on speeding as most people seem to - it's far more important to drive with a safe distance in front, and to concentrate, and to be patient. If you remove any one of those things for a driver who's under the speed limit, then he/she will be significantly more dangerous than someone who's driving is perfect except for being at, say, 50mph in a 40mph zone.

your if you look at my post you will see that i speed on motorways as i drive on them a lot and yes it does get me there quicker.
OK. How much quicker then?

Sponsored Links
Back