Will this drill into brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a novice when it comes to DIY, i currently have a cordless drill which is proving useless at drilling brick. I am wanting a drill which I can use to drill into walls etc mainly for plugging screws. I'm wondering if this (http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=49195&p=foc&id=45647 Dewalt D25003K 2Kg SDS) is likely to do the job or if you can reccomend anything else.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Many Thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
if you want so save some money get some irwin "cordless bits" , will drill wood metal or masonry - without hammer action (will also drill porcelain without much problem )

Sponsored Links
I have a bosch electric screwdriver that can also drill wood and masonry but it doesn't do this too efficiently. You do really need a more advanced one. I can't recommend a specific brand or model though as I'm new to DIY myself.

Little tip though, if you do use an electric drilldriver which is I assume what you are currently using, use smaller bits first to make the opening of the hole and then turn to a bigger one later on. It works and also, have patience; a lot of it :D because when I was drilling through brick, I didn't think it was doing anything but then as I watched, I could slowly see the bit sinking into the brickwork.

grape said:
Hi,

I'm a novice when it comes to DIY, i currently have a cordless drill which is proving useless at drilling brick. I am wanting a drill which I can use to drill into walls etc mainly for plugging screws. I'm wondering if this (http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=49195&p=foc&id=45647 Dewalt D25003K 2Kg SDS) is likely to do the job or if you can reccomend anything else.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Many Thanks
Matt

It is ideal for concrete and brickwork ,just a word of caution take it steady on bricks as a SDS drill can easier split/break a brick when you are drilling a hole in one

seaangler said:
if you want so save some money get some irwin "cordless bits" , will drill wood metal or masonry - without hammer action (will also drill porcelain without much problem )

I've started using those and it saves so much time. Especially if you are drilling through timber and brick in one go.

joe

joe-90 said:
seaangler said:

I've started using those and it saves so much time. Especially if you are drilling through timber and brick in one go.

joe

Where can you get the Irwin bits at a decent price?

go to B&Q and pick up masonry drill bits of the size you want The bosch ones comes seprately so they can be alot cheaper than getting a whole set

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back