wiring for CH

What other numbers are there on the valve?
MAV-322
That's a mid-position valve, not a diverter. A diverter can have ports AB & A open or ports AB & B. A mid position can also have ports AB & A & B open. Port AB is always open. The valve be in one of three positions: A open, B open, A and B open.

The Delta needs a mixing valve, controlled by a server motor, to work. This can take up virtually any position between A fully open, B closed to B fully open A closed.

How big, (cm x cm) is the layout diagram you took a pic of? Some of it is missing so,
It is an A3 sheet size of diagram is not to scale but measures 32cms w x 21 cms ht, the only bits missing are the left side of the page, I think, abd only show the layouts for H & C secondary supplies to the bathroom, kitchen, utility and en-suite - showing Ippec's preferred supply manifolds as opposed to standard plumbing Tee's. There are no further valves at all here.
OK.

second 3-way valve in the 1st floor circuit. I had wondered why your diagram did not show one. Can you confirm it is there?
Not sent and not installed, when asked why it had not ben sent, they decided it wasn't really necessary! Though when I think it through - if this mixer is intended to reduce the temperature of the UFH flow to the manifold - then why not? unless it can be reduced by other means? -the only other control for 1st floor is the room stat. I thought I had tagged this on the drawing I posted - sorry if not! It is easy enough to put one in if better, since all the pipe-work is contained within and easily accessible in the cylinder / control cupboard.
Can't see how the system will work without a mixing valve upstairs. As it stands the upstairs underfloor is being fed with water at the boiler temperature(70-80°C); it should be much lower. The ground floor is OK as the 3-way valve will mix some of the return with the flow and reduce the temperature.

If the 3 way valve was between the HW cylinder and the 1st floor circuit, it would act as a mixer for both ground and 1st floor circuits.

The diagram you posted from IPPEC also shows a pump (as well as the missing valve) on the first floor. Presumably that is also missing!

I don't see what they were playing at - and I doubt if they did either.

On the Ippec web page I found wiring diagram for Delta23b/w100 control for UFH & radiators
Don't think that will help.

I think you may have to get someone in to look at your system and advise what must be done.

Sponsored Links
D-Hailsham

You have been really great trying to get your head round this. Thanks.

Just one question now:-
If all the controls as per the drawing were actually fitted, so the first floor would be the same as ground - ie; extra pump and mixer valve - does the wiring already shown on the delta cover and manual make sense - or am i better saying "bye-bye Delta" and put a simple programmer in instead?

As it stands now the heating is all flowing readily throughout the system on manual without any extra pump to 1st floor - the boiler is turned down to 45 - 55 degrees, and for hot water cylinder demand - the valves are closed manually and boiler turned up to boost the cylinder. Altogether a real pain in the proverbial - but since I have only been home weekends, it has been a slightly smaller pain- now I am here through the week too - its a huge pain .........................!!!!

thanks for your help to date anyway.

I think you may have to get someone in to look at your system and advise what must be done.

:LOL:

Go on D_H, don't give up now. Failure is for wimps. ;)

Sponsored Links
The Delta needs a mixing valve, controlled by a server motor, to work. This can take up virtually any position between A fully open, B closed to B fully open A closed.

o.k - I have contacted the manufacturer ( "Wita" ) to see if I can get a 3 -way body for the SM4 motor. They are in Germany, and I don't know of a supplier in this country! apparently the 4-way and 3-way are operated by the same SM4 motor, at least that is what the layout shows on the design from Ippec ( not that I take that as gospel, hence contacting the manufacturer direct.

If the 3 way valve was between the HW cylinder and the 1st floor circuit, it would act as a mixer for both ground and 1st floor circuits.

I agree entirely, and I am going to change the pipe-work around to accommodate this. Couldn't, then, the 2-port valves be fitted after the mixer and pump, one to each floor, and be wired to open/close as the heating is needed on that floor, and so operate this mixer and pump?

I don't see what they were playing at - and I doubt if they did either.

I agree! This has been the problem I think! - no-one there really understanding what had been designed in the first place , then trying to not cost the company more money and changing the spec to what essentially couldn't work with the valves they sent! Wish I had had the knowledge then that i do now! no point crying over spilt milk - looking at loads of other UFH sites - I totally get what the mixer valve is supposed to do ( blend the hot boiler water to protect UFH from excess heat and therefore possible damage!) Talk about over spec with this kit - it's ridiculous really.

If all that is done - then the Delta should be able to be wired as per the diagram?

Don't think I need this - logic prevails! I have more or less grasped the essence of this now, just the link through from delta to junction wiring box - guess that's my bank hols sorted!

thanks again. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back