Wiring from transformer melted?!

A diode will change a voltage without changing the frequency. Is it a transformer?
So will appropriate arrangements of resistors, capacitors or inductors. I would have said that any of those things would probably satisfy that IEC definition, as written, of a 'transformer'. It is clearly a poor/inadequate definition.
So according to the IEC, 1 diode is a transformer, but 4 diodes are not.
That would presumably depend upon how the 4 diodes were connected. I suppose you are thinking that if they were connected such as to effectively double the frequency, then the IEC would probably not regard them as a transformer. I think we are agreed that this IEC definition is totally unsatisfactory!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I wonder if we should be calling LED drivers, SMPS etc power converters

http://www.electropedia.org/iev/iev.nsf/index?openform&part=551

AFAIK all power converters that do not utilise a linear type transformer, "change the frequency". They take an input voltage, rectify it if AC, chop it at a certain frequency, usually in the kHz range, pass it through a small transformer and regulate it (rectifying if dc is required). Chopping at several kilohertz allows very small and very efficient transformers to be used.

The chopper stage is where I believe the IEC is referring to frequency change

That would presumably depend upon how the 4 diodes were connected. I suppose you are thinking that if they were connected such as to effectively double the frequency, then the IEC would probably not regard them as a transformer.
Well, that's what a full-wave bridge rectifier does.

I think we are agreed that this IEC definition is totally unsatisfactory!
Indeed.

But this one isn't:

An electric device consisting essentially of two or more windings wound on the same core, which by electromagnetic induction transforms electric energy from one set of one or more circuits to another set of one or more circuits such that the frequency of the energy remains unchanged while the voltage and current usually change.

There were already plenty of perfectly adequate terms to use:

Power supply
Voltage converter
Voltage regulator

And probably others.

If some crazy person made a 230V luminaire which used a 50W 12v lamp (and only a 50W one) and had a socking great resistor built in to drop the voltage, how many people (apart from those keen to cling to the idea that the mere act of calling a resistor a transformer makes it one) would be impressed with his claim that it had a built-in transformer?

But it seems that this word has become another victim of the bizarre desire in so many people to try to redefine words and phrases despite there being no need and in the face of new problems and inconsistencies which arise from that unnecessary act.

That would presumably depend upon how the 4 diodes were connected. I suppose you are thinking that if they were connected such as to effectively double the frequency, then the IEC would probably not regard them as a transformer.
Strictly speaking the rectified DC has a pulse repetition rate as DC cannot have a frequency.

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking, of course it does. Frequency is the number of occurrences of a repeating event per unit of time.

Are you seriously going to try and claim that a square wave does not have a frequency?

Or a flashing light?

Exactly - that's obviously why I wrote what I did!
I think we are agreed that this IEC definition is totally unsatisfactory!
Indeed.
I assumed you would agree!
But it seems that this word has become another victim of the bizarre desire in so many people to try to redefine words and phrases despite there being no need and in the face of new problems and inconsistencies which arise from that unnecessary act.
I agree - but, as I've said, given that I am not naive or arrogant enough to think I can change it, have to acknowledge/accept what has happened (although I, like you, can moan about it from time to time - albeit to no avail!)

As you know, I feel the same about 'lamp'. That word had a well-established meaning, which is still in very widespread use, and is the definition still in most dictionaries - and none of that common usage or dictionary definitions relates to 'light bulbs'. I would therefore argue that there are, again, "new problems and inconsistencies" which arise from the unnecessary 'redefining' of the word. As has been said, you only have to ask for 'a lamp for your table lamp' or to be directed to the part of a shop which has 'lamps' to (very probably) see those problems in action.

Kind Regards, John

I agree - but, as I've said, given that I am not naive or arrogant enough to think I can change it, have to acknowledge/accept what has happened (although I, like you, can moan about it from time to time - albeit to no avail!)
Maybe to no avail, but the right thing to do is to always, at every opportunity, tell people that they are wrong.

Maybe to no avail, but the right thing to do is to always, at every opportunity, tell people that they are wrong.
Well, for a start, there is no point in repeatedly telling the same people that 'they are wrong' - once they have been told once, they've been told. However, whilst it's fair enough to tell them that (in your or my opinion) the situation should never have arisen, to tell them that they are 'wrong' (i.e. that they should be using different vocabulary) might well just produce even more confusion for them. If they went into many (most?) retail outlets and asked for a switched mode power supply (or even just 'a power supply') for their living room lights, I suspect that they would often encounter problems of communication.

Kind Regards, John

Strictly speaking, of course it does. Frequency is the number of occurrences of a repeating event per unit of time.
Yes but in most usages and especially in electronics the events are identical to each other and occur at regular intervals.

Are you seriously going to try and claim that a square wave does not have a frequency?
No I am not claiming that. A square wave is not DC

Or a flashing light?
Pulse repetition rate or pulse interval and should include the ratio between ON and OFF

My opinions are based on a 45 year career in electronics design and development. At times the modern corruption of terminology really annoys me and people of my generation. Much of it is laziness and some of it is the deliberate actions of marketing departments intent on making sales to what is a dumbed down and often ignorant market place.

I wonder if we should be calling LED drivers, SMPS etc power converters
http://www.electropedia.org/iev/iev.nsf/index?openform&part=551
One might, but it would be more reasonable if the IEC had heard (at some point during the last 6 or so decades!) about the development of semiconductors! ....
IEC said:
(electronic) (power) converter
an operative unit for electronic power conversion, comprising one or more electronic valve devices, transformers and filters if necessary and auxiliaries if any
One also wonders how appropriate it is to talk about power converters, when what is being converted is voltage. I realise that 'power' is used in different senses but, at the least, there is some ambiguity there - which should not really exist in an official definition.
AFAIK all power converters that do not utilise a linear type transformer, "change the frequency". They take an input voltage, rectify it if AC, chop it at a certain frequency, usually in the kHz range, pass it through a small transformer and regulate it (rectifying if dc is required). Chopping at several kilohertz allows very small and very efficient transformers to be used.
Yes, I'm sure that is all true - and if the output is 'high' frequency AC, then the device would clearly not satisfy the IEC definition of a 'transformer'. However, the (seemingly poor) IEC definition doesn't even say that either input or output have to be AC - so an electronic DC/DC converter would technically qualify as a 'transformer'! If the load cannot cope with 'high frequency' AC, I suppose one would have to first create DC at the desired voltage (as above, and then use an inverter (or chopper!) to create AC of the required frequency - and if that frequency were the same as the input frequency (it could even be frequency- and phase-locked to the supply!), we would be back to the situation in which, if one regarded the device as a 'black box', it might be said to satisfy the IEC definition of 'transformer (despite 'internal' frequency conversion).
The chopper stage is where I believe the IEC is referring to frequency change
Maybe - as I've said, who knows! However, as I've just said, I'm more inclined to guess that they would regard the device as a 'black box', in which case, as above, an electronic device might, in some situations, qualify as a 'transformer'.

All of this really illustrates what we both seem to believe, namely that the IEC definition of 'transformer' appears, to put it kindly, to be 'far from ideal'!

Kind Regards, John

Yes but in most usages and especially in electronics the events are identical to each other and occur at regular intervals.
Go an look at the output of a full-wave rectifier.

Assuming that you want more than simply unidirectional current flow for something to be called DC, then neither is the output from a bridge rectifier. So if you would not claim that a square wave does not have a frequency then you cannot claim that rectified AC does not have one.

Pulse repetition rate
Expressed in Hz, by any chance?

or pulse interval and should include the ratio between ON and OFF
Does the output of a traditional domestic dimmer switch not have a frequency?

At times the modern corruption of terminology really annoys me and people of my generation.
And at times the seemingly pathological desire for people to redefine existing words because they won't use other existing words which already have the meaning they want annoys me and people of my generation.

Quite - like the output of a full-wave rectifier, you mean?
Not even if it is all on one side of zero voltage?

Kind Regards, John
Edit: Sigh - typed too slowly again (well, to be honest, I was typing something else at the time!)

One might, but it would be more reasonable if the IEC had heard (at some point during the last 6 or so decades!) about the development of semiconductors! ....
IEC said:
(electronic) (power) converter
an operative unit for electronic power conversion, comprising one or more electronic valve devices, transformers and filters if necessary and auxiliaries if any
If your comment relates to its following quote, I would point out that they use the term "electronic valve devices", not "thermionic valve devices". Many semiconductor devices are "electronic valves".

I'm more inclined to guess that they would regard the device as a 'black box'
blank_65x10_T.gif
plus_one.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back