Wiring mirror demister in bathroom

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Jackuzi, 12 Mar 2006.

1. Jackuzi

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

I am refitting my bathroom from scratch and will be putting a 1m square mirror on the wall over the bath central to a tiled wall. This will be attached to 6mm WBP using mirror adhesive then onto the wall. I have seen these self-adhesive demisting pads and want to fit one to enable shaving whilst showering in that area.
    Onto the question - having removed an electric shower from that wall I have the wiring that went to it. Can I use this wiring to run the demister? I also want to connect the extractor fan to this circuit as well so they run at the same time. I will probably install another demister to the mirror (1.5m x 1.5m approx) on the wall over the basin/wc worktop. I could then use the isolating pull switch (previously isolated the shower) to switch all of this on and off.
    I am thinking the wiring is obviously overkill to run all this and will need to change the size (Amp) of the plug in trip fuse at the consumer unit?
    Have I got this in my head okay or am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks,
    Glen

2. baldelectrician

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    possible

a couple of things
    1. part P
    2. Bonding requirements- see for reference

3. Jackuzi

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So basically I have two choices - get an electrician to do it or get it inspected by local authority?

4. slippyr4

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yep. You get to thank Uncle John Prescott for that.

5. baldelectrician

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    the two choices you have are either to do it right (to BS7671 and to Building Regs) or not.

To do it right you have 2 options- DIY to BS7671 and local council inspection or use a registered contractor.

It's your money and your choice.