installing inset mirror with demisting pad

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by aflemi, 28 Aug 2011.

1. aflemi

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Have fitted several bathroom mirrors completely inset by tiling but plan to add a demister pad to this one before fitting. I always use glazing silicone and foil backed mirror. My question is, will the adhesive between the pad and mirror hold it up after adding the silicone behind it? Also what percentage mirror/pad size is recommended? Hope this makes sense...

2. ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What do the installation instructions for the pad say?

3. aflemi

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I haven't actually bought the pad yet. If it is unfeasible to use a pad behind an inset mirror then I won't buy one.

4. ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The big problem is it's a bathroom so the LABC charges would apply. So not really a DIY job.

5. aflemi

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am a bathroom installer and have all electrical work done and certified by a qualified electrician. He has wired the supply, all I do is connect the appliance. so no problem on that score. Any ideas on the adhesive element of this situation?

6. TheGayOwl

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would say the logical thing to do would be to allow a 150mm 'frame' around the edge of the mirror with the pad in the middle. Between a suitable adhesive on this 'frame' and the grout/sealant applied after then it should stay in place. Tho may be an issue on larger mirrors.

The very edges of the mirror may not demist as well as the rest but hey ho! :)

EDIT: May be best not to grout it in place, as there may be issues regarding expansion of the mirror which could crack it.

DOUBLE EDIT: If you used silicone on the back of the heated panel it could potentially damage it chemically or other. As suggested see what MI's say if you can.

7. ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's a fixed appliance - installing it according to the makers instructions (which is required by the Wiring Regulations) is part of the electrical work.

Your electrician has to do it.

8. Lectrician

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The demisters never cover the whole of the mirror, and often people who fit a huge mirror only fit a pad large enough to see your face - the effect looks quite good - a misted a mirror with a perfectly clean square with swirly pattern above.

9. aflemi

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    According to retailers advice, the pad is fixed to the back of the mirror then glazing adhesive used as normal............