Wonky tiles? LOOK @ these!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,

I am posting pictures of some of the tiles which my plumber has put into my new bathroom. He is charging me £200 a day and has so far amassed labour costs of around £4,000 with probably another £1,000 left to go.

He says he will put silicone seal along the corners and that the outer corner is wider at the top like that because it's an old and uneven house

Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Shocking, wonder what his plumbing skills are like. Hope they're better than his tiling.

Sponsored Links
Totally unacceptable workmanship
The guy does not have a clue.

Got to ask though Why did you wait until he had done so much before complaining

I'd have done better for £150 a day. I've tiled my bathroom walls and floor, and me mam's conservatory floor. Looks a lot better than this. Took me probably 5 full days to fully tile a bathroom as a beginner (including laying the cement boards for the timber floor). You say he's amassed labour costs of £4k - that's 20 days? :eek:

Yes, he has taken out the old bathroom, and plumbed for the new one. The tiling was looking OK until we got to the corners and the grouting stage.

:LOL: :LOL:
still will look better once its plastered. :eek:

THAT IS 5HITE.
i do hope you havnt paid him?????

The tiling might look half decent with nice thick, taped-off silicone edges. A bodge though. The man's not a tiler. And still don't think its 20 days work full time to do all the above. Providing there's no requirement for the bathroom to remain operational throughout and the bathroom isnt too big here's my non-professional fag packet calcs for timings:

One day to strip everything out, suite and tiles.
(A day contingency for plaster work if ness)
One day to reposition pipework, fit tile prep boards (aquaboard/cementboard).
One day to tile and grout walls behind basin/bog.
One day to tile and grout floor.
One day to fit suite.
Two days to tile and grout rest of walls (tops)
One day finishing touches (silicone etc)

10 x 10 hr days tops. (In reality you stagger fitting the suite because you tile down to a bath usually so it has to in place before tiling is finished.)

20 days?!?! I wouldn't have paid him by the day - I'd have agreed a fixed amount to start with. Paying by the day means he might be stretching the job out.

I did my bathroom myself and it had to be operational throughout, so ended up with part-tiled floor so I could refit the bog and basin. Still achieved a decent finish.

Well I don't actually know what to do now. I've told him that i'm not happy but he says he is out of pocket £2k for work he's done which I haven't paid yet. I got an invoice for £750 today with another £1300 to pay by tuesday.

I've paid over £2k for labour so far but I don't know what my rights are. Can anybody advise?

Thanks for your replies it's good to get another opinion :)

If you're happy with most of it then the guy is due the chance to put it right and earn his money. It's not right, but in fairness you should have stepped in a bit earlier and sorted it out.

Since you agreed a day rate, you have no choice but to pay him for the days worked, but have every right to kick him off the job. Unless you have something in writing that says work must be to a good standard.

As I eluded to above (edited by the way), paying a day rate means he might be stretching this out if he's got nothing else on.

Steve, wish you lived close to me! As for not stepping in sooner, we had agreed £200 a day originally but at the end of the first week when he'd brought in two other guys and charged me £160 and £150 a day for them - I asked for a final bill to get the job finished because I was concerned about the escalating costs.

He did give me a total amount after I asked but now he says it was a 'rough estimate' that he provided and he's worked longer than he thought so wants £2,000 more than that written bill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back