Wooden Dowels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Looking for a little advice, I am looking for 38mm Diameter Hardwood Dowels at lengths of 1000mm. I have two questions.

1) Would a hardwood dowel at this diameter and length be capable of supporting a load of 150kg? (Each end will be anchored to a support beam)
2) Anyone have good suppliers of material such as Dowels at these dimensions.

Cheers

Druid

Sponsored Links
Bit hard to say on the loading, it may be likely to bow out at that length. I'd be tempted to get a wood turner to make you a split dowel with a 25mm bore hole in the middle and insert a steel rod.

Here's a good source of dowel

http://plugitdowel.co.uk/dowel.cfm

Jason

1) Would a hardwood dowel at this diameter and length be capable of supporting a load of 150kg?
cerainly not.

You are talking about a curtain pole with fat two people standing on it.

Sponsored Links
Hi All

Thanks for the replies. Ave went ahead and ordered 2 bits of 38.1mm diameter Dowels @ 36 inches, for the price its worth a try and see what happens. I did a test last night with a standard hardwoord 25mm curtain pole, anchored roughly the same distance as the 38.1 mm dowel would be, it supported 100kg without a problem, so I think I might get away with it on the 38.1mm dowel.

Cheers

Druid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back