Worcester boiler wont light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My Worcester 28i boiler wont light, I have purchased a new circuit board, still wont light, I have blown out the red rubber pipe to the right, turned it all off for 5 mins 3 times, turned heating up, taps opened NOTHING!!!

The RED light is not flashing, I can hear the boiler working but no ignition, no flame. The pilot light is out.

My boiler is the old type.

Any suggestions, no money until next Friday

Sponsored Links
LOL circuit board was an expensive blind purchase. Suggest getting a suitably qualified and registered gas fitter to see to it.

Seconded.

I suggest you get someone who knows what they are doing
instead of wasting time and money on it.

Hi
My Worcester 28i boiler wont light, I have purchased a new circuit board, still wont light, I have blown out the red rubber pipe to the right, turned it all off for 5 mins 3 times, turned heating up, taps opened NOTHING!!!

The RED light is not flashing, I can hear the boiler working but no ignition, no flame. The pilot light is out.

My boiler is the old type.

Any suggestions, no money until next Friday

Bad times
:cool:

Sponsored Links
Ok, we are in a buy to rent house, we have to see to every thing as if we owned it, but, we have to inform the owner, they sent out the gas/electric boiler engineers, they told us after testing we needed a new circuit board
:(

So, we need to wait until Friday and find our own boiler service man/woman and hopefully we might get some where.

The boiler is the Worcester 28i The BIG boiler not the junior.

We need a new boiler really but recession has hit every one and we are living on half the wage we used to. We have not cut corners as we know you waste more money that way. We get 24p over the lowest income criteria, so not entitled to any help, we give a quarter of wage to CSA which puts us well below low income but it is not taken into account. We raise two children 6yrs / 7yrs court order and no help there as they are not under 5yrs old.

Have you tried to re-set the overheat stat, its located on the top lhs of the boiler push in the little button, other than that its a gas pro job.

just get a pro to look at it otherwise you maybe wasting time and money imho , good luck

All sorted :) We got a different boiler man, :)
The first so called expert who told us we needed a new circuit board had also put the rubber tubes in the wrong way.

I am happy with the new boiler man, I wont be phoning up the housing agency again.

It was actually the flow switch!!!! cost £25 including VAT we now have hot water. Its amazing how much you realise how much its missed and, how lucky we are to be able to have heated water.

Thanks every one for your help :)

Its also an important story to remind people of the stupidity of buying expensive parts when you have not had a professional diagnosis by someone who will take responsibility for his diagnosis.

If I diagnose a fault then if I had got it wrong then I would never charge for parts which are not needed. Not that I ever expect to wrongly diagnose any fault but I do hear that others do. Thats why you should always get the person diagnosing the problem to buy the parts needed to repair.

Tony Glazier

Firstly! please read my full posts....

Quote!

Ok, we are in a buy to rent house, we have to see to every thing as if we owned it, but, we have to inform the owner, they sent out the gas/electric boiler engineers, they told us after testing we needed a new circuit board

So I was not stupid!!! I had a professional sent by the owner, he is corgi registered and works for their company. We got the circuit board as we got it cheaper from else where. If we got the circuit board from him, once connected he would not reimburse if it was wrong, so that is why we went else where with a money back guaranty if faulty and replacement cover for 1 year.
This was out of our hands we do not yet own the house.

I actually got a different engineer without the owner knowing!

But yes, for any one else I hope they read this and dont buy unless they have got their own engineer to look, Corgy registerd of course!

So I was not stupid!!! I had a professional sent by the owner, he is corgi registered and works for their company. We got the circuit board as we got it cheaper from else where. If we got the circuit board from him, once connected he would not reimburse if it was wrong, so that is why we went else where with a money back guaranty if faulty and replacement cover for 1 year.

From what you have said, you paid for the PCB and have ended up paying for it when it was not needed.

If the first engineer was so responsible then why does he not guaranty his diagnosis and refund the cost of the PCB?

Surely if you had let him buy the PCB, when it turned out not to be the cause of the fault, then you would not have had to pay for it?

Tony

he was adamant that if he fitted a new one he would not refund if the board was not needed as it had 'now' been used! I had no reason at this time to not believe him when he said we needed a new circuit board, we had little money and he wanted £400 for a circuit board with no guarantee! I was not happy spending that amount of money which I did not have with no guarantee, he stated as it would then become "A used circuit board"
I was not happy as it was the owner of our home that arranged for the engineer to call, but I trusted him saying we needed a circuit board. ( Im no engineer and he was )
I then phoned a different engineer with out the owner knowing. He then stripped the boiler and made sure he checked every thing, I then purchased a flow switch, it worked!

If I had not got another engineer with out the owner finding out, goodness knows what we would of done!
I have also risked my tenancy by not informing the owner I got an engineer my self.
Catch 22 I did what any one would of done given the situation.
Unfortunately not every one is honest!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back