Worcester Heatslave 18/25 Combi....Water Too Hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Neither Muggles nor Spacegas want anyone to know their real names.

I post under my real name and anyone is welcome to email or telephone me as I give that information in my profile. I am a real person! Some of the others are like those drivers who sound their horn agressively at people all the time. When you actually meet them they are quite normal and polite!

I just feel that its sufficient to say you wrote to the "Director of This or That" at Worcester.

I hope that I have explained the technical background to the Worcester boiler designs. That said, there is nothing wrong with letting the manufacturers of boilers know when their products do not totally meet your expectations.

You might be interested to know that many storage combis do include a blending valve within the boiler.

That is a useful feature ( until they fail ) but dont meet all the ideal requirements which are a higher temperature in the kitchen and a lower temperature for the shower.

Tony

i am
quite normal and polite
unfortunately you often portray yourself as not very affable.

i'm sure your nice enough in person & certainly know your onions.

but you rub people up the wrong way & you are so easy to wind up.

Agile and all other helpfull Souls :)

My main concern is this:-

The Worcester has a Hot Water holding tank of 69 Ltrs. This means of course that this amount of water is constantly being kept at the minimum temperature setting of the boiler (Even number 1 is in my opinion too hot)
ready for the Tap/Shower whatever to be turned on.

One can on/off the water as and when required of course, but then the Hot Water still has to be heated to whatever you want at that time.
This is not very efficient.

It is the possible cost of this at todays Oil Prices that is worrying.
After all, the finances of a Pensioner under this lousy government leave a lot to be desired.

A blender will not solve this as it is operational AFTER it has already heated in the holding tank.

No doubt you will kindly correct me if any of my facts are adrift. :)

Boozercruiser (My real name is Kenny Thain by the way)

P.S. I take it from a previous post that your bark is worth more than your bite :evil:

With respect. Try doing less of both :!: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Kenny.

thats pretty much how your boiler works & how it was designed to do so.

consider this, if you were to have what i would term a conventional system with an airing cupboard containing a hot water cylinder. you would have a considerably larger hot water storage vessel at 55-60oC possibly.

As far as i understood, the heatslave doesn't actually hold stored DHW. It has a heatbank containing pre heated water used to heat the plate heat exchanger instantly?

I may be wrong, but when installing and initially filling, the cold/hot water fill's almost instantly ( just the plate heat X and pipework to pressurise) where as when filling the heating side, this takes some time before the boiler is full and the heating circuit actually starts to fill?

Sam :?:

Kenny, if you are going to have hot water then it has to be heated up from cold.

When you mix cold water with the hot before use then no energy is lost as you get a greater volume of cooler water.

The only energy loss is heat loss from the store in the boiler. This is proportional to the difference between the stored water and the suroundings.

The store is well insulated and does not lose much heat. Perhaps 2-3 kWH per day? It will lose slightly more if the stored water temperature is higher. However, it must be stored above 60°C to prevent legionella.

In spite of your reservations on the design I notice that you seem to be promoting it by posting about it on other threads.

Tony

Thanks for the extra input guys :)

Well, apart from my well know gripe it is a lovely silent smooth running boiler which seems to do the job well. Lots of lovely HOT WATER that works a treat with our new extra big headed Thermostatic Shower.

Though I havent tested the heating side of it proper yet as of course we are (I think :!: ) in the middle of Summer.

In any case, I think it is worth while letting people know about the 5 year warranty on Worcester for anyone thinking of buying a new Oil Fired Boiler.

By the way. One sub question if I may.

I have just had the Boiler replaced and two new radiators put in.
Thinking about the job afterwards I don't think that the whole system was drained down and flushed out. Should this have been done?

Fernox was added to the system however.

Any extra thoughts guys?

yes it should have been flushed etc.

chat to your installer he will tell you what he felt the situation required & what was carried out.

yes it should have been flushed etc.

chat to your installer he will tell you what he felt the situation required & what was carried out.

Thanks for this reply (And other kind souls)

I have a total of 13 radiators, two where replaced with new ones. The heating hasn't been used since the boiler was installed on 1st August.

Can you tell me if there is any way for me to find out if the system was flushed out or not? After all, if it should have been done I doubt the installer is going to tell me that it wasn't.

To my knowledge the system hadn't been flushed out for around 4 years.

The installer is required to fit a new boiler onto a "clean" system.

Some existing sealed systems are quite clean and dont need any treatment at all apart from adding inhibitor. However its good practice to drain them and then refill and add the inhibitor.

New rads create a problem. They need a different treatment using specific chemicals to get rid of stamping oils and flux residues.

Even on new systems many installers dont do this treatment. When only a small number of rads are replaced then many installers dont do any treatment. It can cause considerable problems on a new systen but rarely causes much of a problem when only two or three rads have been replaced.

Tony

Tony. Thanks for your reply :)

Just that last question.

Is there any way that I can use to see if the system was drained or not?

I was thinking there would still be dark residue in the rest of the Radiators perhaps?

Any thoughts?

Thank You.

Kenny Thain.

Is there any chance of a reply to that last question anyone? :confused:

And thanks for all help and advice up to now. :)

If the system has been cleaned then the water should look reasonable clean, light tea or lighter but without any tea leaves.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back