Wrong motar mixture?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, this is my 1st post although have been using the site for advice for a while - thanks!

My enquiry this time is that having attempted my 1st garden wall yesterday (I'm now half way through), I noticed that the cement is although hard to touch, is quite powdery and can be scratched away with relative ease. The mixture is supposed to be 1:5 (as per the insteructions on the bag for general purpose) but I'm wondering if this is a bit weak - I might also have been a bit lean with the cement anyway!

Can anyone advise whether this is going to be a problem and should I therefore restart, or should I continue with a stronger mix for the rest. Or perhaps am I just being a bit premature and will it harden with time? FYI, the wall is a semmi-retaining wall allowing me to build up the level of hardcore for a garage base, although shouldn't need to take a massvive amount of weight and is only 2 courses (blocks) high?

Sorry for the long-winded description...

Cheers,

Ross

Sponsored Links
Mortar is strong in compression, but can still be scraped on the surface. You would normally tool it smooth and compressed to give it a weathering face to give a less powdery appearance

5:1 can be OK, but how quick it dried can impact on how "soft" it becomes and its longevity

It will harden a bit more over time, but as this is done now, just monitor it

Recheck your pointing technique and make sure the mix ratio is correct for your next attempt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back