Yale Door Sensor Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Struggling a bit with this as just recently after perfect operation 1 out of the 4 door sensors on my Yale 6400 only intermittently reads on the walk test/triggering the alarm.

I've used the test button on the sensor itself which appears to work perfectly and i can hear the slight *click* every time the door is used (which rules out a fitment issue) but I still get the problem above.

I've also tried the standard stuff like replacing the battery, removing & re-adding the sensor into the system and moving the location of the sensor.

Any ideas or similar experiences? on a whole I'm very please with the alarm which is which is why its bugging me so much.

thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan
Try swapping the sensor from another door onto that location and see if that sensor works in that location.

Only time I have had a similar problem with a door contact was when the door frame is metal - even if only aluminium. Wood and PVC door frames are fine but aliminium ones simply stop the signal reaching the panel even though they appear to operate correctly elsewhere.

You say you hear a 'click' when the door is used? The magnetic switch part of these sensors is very fine and there should be no audible click to alert you that the sensor has activated or not - This makes me suspect the sensor could be faulty.

Hi

thanks for your reply (i would have replied sooner but the forum doesnt allow logging in from an iphone).

i've tried swapping the sensor from a working door and the problem stays with my upvc sliding door unfortunately so that rules out the sensor itself.

ive tried it both on the leading edge of the door so that it meets the contact aswell as at the bottom & top (as in picture) so that it slides away and definately not more than 8mm away.

im putting up a PIR to cover the area but really would like to get it working but am struggling to think what the problem could be? as far as i know the frame is entirely upvc.

btw the clicking is very very quiet and all 4 do it and 2 were seperately purchased so im pretty sure that its normal.

any more help would be much appriciated.

- well except the highly useful post of buy a different alarm from someone which i believe was moderator removed - believe me ive read many reviews, pro's and con's before making my desision and most of them were from this forum and i couldnt agree more that it doesnt matter how much it spent its main objective should be a deterrent as im sure many thieves would rather pick a house with no alarm rather than one they might be able to avoid setting off.

thanks again.

dan

Hi
i've tried swapping the sensor from a working door and the problem stays with my upvc sliding door unfortunately so that rules out the sensor itself.
Had any thoughts about that great big chunk of metal over the top of the transmitter and of course the metal framework that is inside your door/frame?

Sponsored Links
ha! yes - i knew that would be mentioned when i took the pic. i had thought about it and going to do it today on the hope it does fix it - although it shouldn't have affected its previous 2 locations and isn't much of a conductor... but all good advice - here comes the wrath of the wife for removing her curtain rail :LOL:

should the alarm box not report a fault with not being able to communicate one of the sensors or is that a feature it doesn't have?

dan

ok, can chalk another one up to use error :oops:

as much as i didn't think the curtain rail would effect it..... that was the problem :mrgreen:

thanks all

dan

You don't have to spoil your decor or move the curtain rod - you could put the sensor at the bottom of the door just be aware of where rain could fall on the transmitter - you could also put the sensor vertical on the door ie the tranmitter on one door and the magnet on the frame or other meeting door. -If you do put the sensor at the bottom of the door try to place it where it won't gey kicked easily perhaps nearer the hinge side

vertically was where it was initially (near the top and therefore the curtain rail) and still had the problem, i did have it low for have a day but my toddler seemed intent on pushing the test button and fiddling :)

i can live with it there and will replace the rail with a wood counter part.

thanks again

dan

The magnetic switch part of these sensors is very fine and there should be no audible click to alert you that the sensor has activated or not - This makes me suspect the sensor could be faulty.

---- and you wonder why we are always pulling you up!

All reed switches 'click'. Some louder than others.

(G1,(Yale)) , G2, G3, & G4 contacts & PIRs etc, 'click', it has something to do with the reed switches being mechanical!

Peoples hearing along with the environment in which they are fitted also has a bearing on the audibility of the 'click' heard.

Don't you know anything?

Europlank

Would the moderating team please use technical knowledge to remove posts.

should the alarm box not report a fault with not being able to communicate one of the sensors or is that a feature it doesn't have?

dan

Hi Dan
The control panel will report the two following conditions of your sensors.
1. Initially it will report a fault if the sensor batteries are getting low.
2. It will also report a fault if a device previously having battery low problems drops out of the system if it has been programmed in in this case it will report device out of order.

1. Initially it will report a fault if the sensor batteries are getting low.
2. It will also report a fault if a device previously having battery low problems drops out of the system if it has been programmed in in this case it will report device out of order.

It can only report low batteries if there is enough battery power for the sensor's transmitter to radiate enough power to reach the receiver in the control panel ( or siren if there is no control panel )

Does it report a missing sensor even if there was no preceeding "low battery" message from that sensor ? If not then a sensor suffering sudden death will not be reported.

Of course when there is no control panel one has to look at the siren ( or be able to hear it bleating ) for all fault indications such as low batteries in a sensor.

All sensors have red led lights on them which flicker to indicate the battery is getting low - this includes door sensors.
This gives approximately 3 weeks warning to change the batteries.
Of course I have mentioned this before but the best way of ensuring your batteries are fine is to change then all every 18 months regardless of whether they are indicating low battery or not.
If you change the batteries yourself you will only pay typically £10 for replacement batteries every 18 month so that just £7 a year on upkeep equivalent.

You don't have to spoil your decor or move the curtain rod - you could put the sensor at the bottom of the door just be aware of where rain could fall on the transmitter - you could also put the sensor vertical on the door ie the tranmitter on one door and the magnet on the frame or other meeting door. -If you do put the sensor at the bottom of the door try to place it where it won't gey kicked easily perhaps nearer the hinge side
:eek:

I thought its better to fit the transmitter to the frame, As its not very good for the circuitry & battery connections with door opening and closing and the odd slam. Most wireless alarm manufacturers say install the transmitter to the frame & not the door

:eek:

I thought its better to fit the transmitter to the frame, As its not very good for the circuitry & battery connections with door opening and closing and the odd slam. Most wireless alarm manufacturers say install the transmitter to the frame & not the door

They do but it depends on the door.
A wooden door with a Yale lock is going to get slammed for sure and is a no no. A upvc patio door cannot be slammed as you have to close the door with the handle it cannot be simply slammed shut and the flex in the door frame means it would never be a solid slam anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back