Yale Door Sensor Help

Not worked on all UPVC doors then have you, some can be slammed as that have an pull only handle as opposed to the back door variety which do have handles on both sides

Sponsored Links
The door in this case is a Patio Door in upvc - I have yet to meet one that can be slammed rather than purposely closed. In my experience they require closing by using the handle which furthermore requires an upward pull to lock the mechanism.

Get out more then.
Because you have not seen them does not make you right.

Get out more then.
Because you have not seen them does not make you right.

I am right in the case of this post so your comments are as usual irrelevant.

Desperately desperately trying aren't you but simply making yourself look sadder and sadder.

Sponsored Links
The door in this case is a Patio Door in upvc - I have yet to meet one that can be slammed rather than purposely closed. In my experience they require closing by using the handle which furthermore requires an upward pull to lock the mechanism.
It's very obvious that you have very narrow experience in the installation of 'any' sort of alarm system, leading a very sheltered life in your pay-for DiY installations, aren't you.

You've never found a patio door that is so heavy to close that the user has to use two hands to get it going and then looses control and lets it slam shut? - Then using the upward movement of the handle to lock closed.

I have yet to meet one that can be slammed rather than purposely closed.
It may be impossible to close some doors by slamming them shut. The problem is that a door swinging towards the closed position will be suddenly stopped by either hitting the door frame or hitting the locking bolts. The impact shock and damaging vibration is there in both cases. An exception would be a door with a closure control that limits the speed of the door's movements.

Back to sensors and dead batteries. You have mentioned the problems with the battery contacts that (apparently) means some makes of battery do not make reliable connections with the battery contacts. If this causes sudden death of a sensor, ie no transmissions and no LED flashes / flickers then how does the owner discover the sensor is not functional when there is no cotrol panel.

as much as i didn't think the curtain rail would effect it.....
Any metal close to a low power radio transmitter will affect the power and direction of the signal that leaves the transmitter.

One option would be to remove the sensing magnetic reed contact from the transmitter case and re-connect it via a pair of wires and thus be able to locate the sensor module away from the metal door frame and curtain rails etc.

Would void the warantee but is that a major problem ?

I have yet to meet one that can be slammed rather than purposely closed.
It may be impossible to close some doors by slamming them shut. The problem is that a door swinging towards the closed position will be suddenly stopped by either hitting the door frame or hitting the locking bolts. The impact shock and damaging vibration is there in both cases. An exception would be a door with a closure control that limits the speed of the door's movements.

Back to sensors and dead batteries. You have mentioned the problems with the battery contacts that (apparently) means some makes of battery do not make reliable connections with the battery contacts. If this causes sudden death of a sensor, ie no transmissions and no LED flashes / flickers then how does the owner discover the sensor is not functional when there is no cotrol panel.

It will not light up. There is also a test button on each sensor. The simple way is not to use Duracells as they are the brand that for some reason only work intermittently. I don't know why that is it may be due to their voltage?? But why would that cause the unit not to work?

It's very obvious that you have very narrow experience in the installation of 'any' sort of alarm system, leading a very sheltered life in your pay-for DiY installations, aren't you.

You've never found a patio door that is so heavy to close that the user has to use two hands to get it going and then looses control and lets it slam shut? - Then using the upward movement of the handle to lock closed.

Nope never had that situation at all. All my patio door experience has been on new build homes and they are all very much much of a muchness. Of course I do not put the sensors on the doors in any other scenario than a last resort and only if the door does not need slamming.
Your all just trying to present assumptions as fact - sad really.
Of course I have met door that have to be slammed some even so bad that I even worried about putting the sensor on the frame! Then the discussion was about whether covering the door with a pir would be more reliable.

It will not light up. There is also a test button on each sensor. The simple way is not to use Duracells as they are the brand that for some reason only work intermittently. I don't know why that is it may be due to their voltage?? But why would that cause the unit not to work?

The slight variation in voltage between different makes of batteries of the type recommended by the equipment manufacturers should not affect operation of electronic equipment in any way. If it does then the design is not a good design. Specifically the reliability and accuracy of any low battery detection and indication function would be highly suspect.

The variation of shape in the positive contact of AA and AAA cells does create problems where the mechanical design of a battery holder has not taken account of these variations. Not enough different makes of battery were used in the design and prototyping processes.

But it does seem that in order to ensure the system is functional the owner has to conduct routine testing of sensors to ensure they are functional. Failure to perform these tests could mean a non functioning sensor would go un-detected ( by the owner ) for some time during which the premises are not fully protected.

Of course I do not put the sensors on the doors in any other scenario than a last resort and only if the door does not need slamming.
So you HAVE come across ones that slam then, make up your mind.

Another site with lever/pad handles for SLAM doors;
The 'slam' refers to the mechanism, not the need to slam the door closed surely?

Yes, to a degree. As there is no larch retrieval on the external apart from the key.
They are designed to be pulled/slammed shut. Hence generally on main doors not garden doors.

Have a look in Doors and Windows section here, see what the makers of these doors say. In fact all who are doubting it look for the section.

Also why they call MOT safes "Slam safes" as you slam them to shut them.

Seriously if you going to question this bring, some info with you.
Some here with over 60 years combined experience in the security industry dont make things up to pass the time.

Another pearl of wisdom, why are all those cheap alarms and CCTV cameras in Maplin`s or Homebase never used to actually used to protect their stores?
So if they wont use them for their valuables why would you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back