Young Driver's First Car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Low insurance, easy and cheap to repair.

What would you/ have you bought/ recommended?

Sponsored Links
Buying a slightly newer car may be a bigger outlay, but insurers pay out a lot for personal injuries, and newer cars are safer so would be cheaper to insure than a £500 shed. Volkswagen/Skoda are good so are Hyundai/kia, a 5 year old Kia would still have some warranty ( come with 7 years).

Sponsored Links
Should all do moped as first vehicle.
Cheap.
Learn road craft, and traffic awareness.
Hard to show off (very dangerous habit of the young driver).
Can't have a load of passengers (similar to "can't show off", and would stop the "seven teenagers critically injured"-type of accidents.

He has a bike!
Don't fancy getting him a moped, as if something goes wrong (and it may not be his error), it could be serious.
Yeah, I know the insurance aint cheap! The cheapest quote so far is for a Toyota Aygo (£1600) and a Fabia 1.9TDi Estate (£1700).
The Aygo is tiny and don't fancy its chances in a bump. Fabia is that bit bigger.
Saw a 10 plate Fabia 1.4 diesel with 250,000 going for £900, but it had just been sold.
Looked at Clio too and Hyundai i20.

In the "old" days, we all went for a 950 Fiesta or a 998 Metro or 993 Nova or Chevette. They were Group 1 or 2. These days insurance companies go off far more than just the insurance group.

Auto express: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/first-cars/64339/best-first-cars-for-new-drivers
  1. 1. Volkswagen up!/Skoda Citigo/SEAT Mii
  2. 2. Ford Fiesta
  3. 3. Kia Picanto
  4. 4. SEAT Ibiza
  5. 5. Volkswagen Polo
  6. 6. Hyundai i10
  7. 7. Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 108/Citroen C1
  8. 8. Dacia Sandero
  9. 9. Suzuki Baleno
  10. 10. Vauxhall Viva
It mentions the black box, which I was going to recommend. I hate the things but it can reduce the cost of insurance quicker. Let's face it, it's not the cost of the car for young drivers that's insane, it is the cost of the insurance. I do feel sorry for them.

I have looked, thanks. I think that list is for the latest (or later) models.

However, this prompted me to look at other cars:

Renault Modus 1.5 TDi 2008 insurance is £1664
Corsa 1.0 2009 is £1651
Agila 1.0 2010 is £1311
C1 1.0 2008 is £1209

C1 is a bit too small.
Corsa seems quite high, but Agila (different car same engine) is quite a bit less.

Perhaps as the Corsa is a YP's car and the Agila is an old dears car, that accounts for the difference?

Sponsored Links
Back