Young Driver's First Car

We disagree, that's fine.

We both agree that young (inexperienced) drivers crash more. A lot more.
I'm of the opinion that, rather than make their crash safer for them (to the detriment of others), put them on a vehicle where they're likely only to hurt themselves.
The only way they'll learn is by using the road: make it less likely they'll kill or maim others, while they're gaining their experience.

Sponsored Links
We disagree, that's fine.

We both agree that young (inexperienced) drivers crash more. A lot more.
I'm of the opinion that, rather than make their crash safer for them (to the detriment of others), put them on a vehicle where they're likely only to hurt themselves.
The only way they'll learn is by using the road: make it less likely they'll kill our maim others, while they're gaining their experience.

...if they're still alive after it.

...if they're still alive after it.
From your Brake link.

Young drivers speed. Difficult on a 30mph moped.
Young drivers attempt risky moves, like blind overtakes. Difficult on a moped.
Young drivers often speed due to peer pressure of young passengers (but not of older passengers). Difficult on a moped.
Young drivers crash more at night: "recreational driving"(?). I'd guess less likely to go out at 3am for a spin on a moped, rather than "with me mates croozin'".

From your Brake link.

Young drivers speed. Difficult on a 30mph moped.
Young drivers attempt risky moves, like blind overtakes. Difficult on a moped.
Young drivers often speed due to peer pressure of young passengers (but not of older passengers). Difficult on a moped.
Young drivers crash more at night: "recreational driving"(?). I'd guess less likely to go out at 3am for a spin on a moped, rather than "with me mates croozin'".

Yet they still make up the majority of KSIs.

Sponsored Links
What's your solution then?
Put all young drivers in cars instead?
I must be getting old.So many people either drive like there ass is in flames,or they on an F1 start grid....And that's just the women.

The cheapest to insure so far:

Suzuki Splash 1.0 petrol - 1111
Citroen C1 1.0 petrol - 1200
Mazda 2 1.4 TDi - 1200

The cheapest to insure so far:

Suzuki Splash 1.0 petrol - 1111
Citroen C1 1.0 petrol - 1200
Mazda 2 1.4 TDi - 1200

Was discussing this subject with a friend who has a son just passed his test.

Found it was cheaper to insure him on a Megane than a Clio. Probably because very few youngsters drive a Megane, so it becomes a less risk car?

So try a few unpopular cars maybe ?

Thanks.

That's partly why I thought I'd try and get a quote for the Splash.

But Mrs Secure says it is too small, so will think again. Try a Mondeo, maybe?!!

Should all do moped as first vehicle.
Cheap.
Learn road craft, and traffic awareness.
Hard to show off (very dangerous habit of the young driver).
Can't have a load of passengers (similar to "can't show off", and would stop the "seven teenagers critically injured"-type of accidents.
Noooo not a moped, you learn nothing on a bike limited to 30mph other than to pin the throttle back. No way my kids are having mopeds. I'd be ok with something bigger once their hippocampus has properly developed.

First car - a Monge mobile..

49E5399E00000578-5465399-image-a-38_1520283095940.jpg

Clio basic diesel 1922
Megane basic diesel estate 2005

Not good.

Try a few more odd examples? Mondeo, Focus, Astra, Hyundai, Kia etc ?

The Megane he drives is petrol, not sure if that would make any difference though.

:):)
Have threatened a yellow Fiat Cinquecento...he said it'd be funny for the first couple of weeks at college, then it would turn sour!
Insurance for it would be 2100, though!!

Last edited:
A Mondeo would be around 2100 (funnily enough the more powerful 2.0 Diesel 138bhp is cheaper to insure), a Hyundai i20 1.4 Diesel would be 1400. A Kia Picanto is 1300.
Both a Focus (1.6TDCi) and Astra (1.3 CTDi) estate are a bit over 2050.

I must say the prices don't vary like I thought they might with engine output. The 90bhp Astra is virtually the same cost to insure as the 138bhp Mondeo.

Sponsored Links
Back