Young Driver's First Car

Sponsored Links
Yeah. I had an Alfasud. 1978 and not at all rotten, despite living in Cornwall. Sadly no more. Tax due 1990.

Should all do moped as first vehicle.
Cheap.
Learn road craft, and traffic awareness.
Hard to show off (very dangerous habit of the young driver).
Can't have a load of passengers (similar to "can't show off", and would stop the "seven teenagers critically injured"-type of accidents.
Indeed.

Sponsored Links
The reason they give for the sky high premiums is that young drivers are much more likely to have an accident. Can't argue with that. But it's always been like that, so why weren't the premiums always sky high? Admittedly when I started driving in mid 80s, my premium would have been a bit higher than an older, more experienced driver. But I don't remember it being unaffordable. My latest renewal was £200. If young people are paying 10 times that for a lawn mower engine shoe box now, that's a far higher multiple than when I started 32 years ago.

I wasn't earning much then, but paid the first annual premium for my 10 year old Triumph Dolomite outright in cash. Friends were getting bigger first cars, eg. 1600cc Mk3 Cortinas, and insurance wasn't that steep. Can't understand why young first drivers are getting completely screwed now.

Should all do moped as first vehicle.
Cheap.
Learn road craft, and traffic awareness.
Hard to show off (very dangerous habit of the young driver).
Can't have a load of passengers (similar to "can't show off", and would stop the "seven teenagers critically injured"-type of accidents.

Couldn't disagree more. Mopeds/bikes are dangers regardless of experience given its not only the rider who's using the road.

There used to be a statistic along the lines of, a quarter of new drivers have an accident in the first 6 months of driving. I'd rather have an accident in a car than on a bike.

If it's combatting 'showing off' a black box insurance policy is all it needs, not to mention you can only clock up 6 points in the first 2 years of driving before losing your license and having to re-take an advanced test.

The Corsa seems to be popular too, cheaper than a Fiesta- to buy at least. Loads around.
John :)

Corsas just aren't as nice as Fiestas and I'm yet to hear one that doesn't sound rough as arseholes.

I'd rather have an accident in a car than on a bike.

Hence the more reckless attitude to driving? (Sense of invulnerability?)

If it's combatting 'showing off' a black box insurance policy is all it needs,

Depends on whether the kid is wealthy enough to not care about the cost of their insurance, or not.

not to mention you can only clock up 6 points in the first 2 years of driving before losing your license and having to re-take an advanced test.

If someone is willing to rag around at silly speeds, with half a dozen other kids in the back, will points really deter them?

The reason they give for the sky high premiums is that young drivers are much more likely to have an accident. Can't argue with that. But it's always been like that, so why weren't the premiums always sky high?
I started driving in 1965 - before that there were very few (next to none driven by boys) cars on the road and the ones that were were not very fast.

I assume that since then until possibly the eighties there weren't that many accidents.
With experience since then the insurance companies raised the insurance premiums for boys because of their large number of accidents.

On a different note:
When my daughter started driving in 1990, girls' premiums were much lower than boys'.
Since then, with the stupid notion of equality having to be implemented, it was classed as discrimination for boys to be charged more than girls so they should be charged the same despite girls having fewer accidents.
Consequently, the insurance companies understandably did not lower boys' premiums.

I started driving in 1965 - before that there were very few (next to none driven by boys) cars on the road and the ones that were were not very fast.

I assume that since then until possibly the eighties there weren't that many accidents.
With experience since then the insurance companies raised the insurance premiums for boys because of their large number of accidents.

On a different note:
When my daughter started driving in 1990, girls' premiums were much lower than boys'.
Since then, with the stupid notion of equality having to be implemented, it was classed as discrimination for boys to be charged more than girls so they should be charged the same despite girls having fewer accidents.
Consequently, the insurance companies understandably did not lower boys' premiums.

Yes, I suppose the increased performance of even small engine cars could account for some of the higher premiums for young drivers. Possibly also that the ins. companies have caught up, and instead of spreading the risk for young drivers around all drivers, they're making the newer drivers pay a more realistic premium for the risk they represent.

Not much fun being a young driver these days. Ford Zodiac v Nissan Micra - and paying £1800 just to insure it.

Cars that are 'cool' (Corsas, Fiestas, Saxos) etc just ask to be modified - which is a big turn off for insurers and the old bill. All makes have good examples and similarly knackered ones so choose carefully!
John :)

My son can insure a 50cc moped on a provisional licence with CBT training for £580/year. That’s about 1/4 or 1/5th the price of insuring a car with a full licence.

I believe it's the cost of Personal Injury claims, and litigation, that put the cost up. The more passengers you're likely to be carrying, and the more other people you're liable to damage, the more costs you can incur.

On both counts a moped scores low.

I believe it's the cost of Personal Injury claims
I have just renewed on my van. I asked why a saintly driver such as myself, whose earnings have not increased since last year, should pay MORE than I did last year. It was to pay for bogus claims and the whole young male driver thing.

Sponsored Links
Back