Your worst unsafe situation.

Flames coming out the front of a warm air unit - the heat exchanger was totally blocked with soot

The old Balmforths are great for that. Went to one house and the guys was complainig all the ceiling in the house were getting a black stain to them, opened the compartment door and the wau case was black instead of white!. Removed the burner and stuck my brush up the hx and it was like sweeping a chimney, the pile at the bottom buried my hand and brush..... all from a poor pilot flame.

Sponsored Links
I've found loads Gas hob connected with garden hose and jubilee clips, Garden hose suspended from light fittings from a bib tap, to supply gas to two desk mounted bunsen burners.

Brand new combi boiler installed in a loft with no flue, and condense running sloped upwards caused the boiler to overfill and got called as a water leak.

Countless open flued boilers with no ventilation, lucky they were in plant rooms and outside boiler rooms.

Lpg catering range split bundy tubes to burners, tried to light burners to check and was greeted with big flames licking out of everywhere, customer told me thats why they don't use the end two rings. Also connected with domestic cooker flex which was leaking.

To many I can think of.

James

had a call to a "cooker popping". when got there lady says it pops when i use the grill. couldnt smell gas, so like a mug i turned on the grill lit it and a bang and a flash from beihind the cooker, net curtains gone up in about 1sec.
a quick look and found the grill supply pipe broken.
it only 'popped' because lady was deaf.

Worked for Transco a few years ago,one sunday night got called out to a smell of gas at a terraced house,and there was a strong smell.Did all normal checks,found nothing,so went next door,did all checks again,found nothing.
Went to the house on the other side,who according to the woman who called,had been away since friday morning,and as soon as i opened the letter box to put my gascoseeker tube in,was nearly knocked over by the gas smell,the reading went off the scale.
So,as i was wondering whether i was going to call a locksmith,or kick the door in,the woman announces "they left me a key" so i opened the door,got my torch lit,and told the woman to stay put,went in ,and found the cooker had one gas ring left on,and unlit,SINCE FRIDAY.so i turned it off.
At this point all the lights went on,she had only followed me in and switched a light switch.
To this day i dont know how the house did not blow up,and i still shiver when i think of what could have happened.

Sponsored Links
Worked for Transco a few years ago,one sunday night got called out to a smell of gas at a terraced house,and there was a strong smell.Did all normal checks,found nothing,so went next door,did all checks again,found nothing.
Went to the house on the other side,who according to the woman who called,had been away since friday morning,and as soon as i opened the letter box to put my gascoseeker tube in,was nearly knocked over by the gas smell,the reading went off the scale.
So,as i was wondering whether i was going to call a locksmith,or kick the door in,the woman announces "they left me a key" so i opened the door,got my torch lit,and told the woman to stay put,went in ,and found the cooker had one gas ring left on,and unlit,SINCE FRIDAY.so i turned it off.
At this point all the lights went on,she had only followed me in and switched a light switch.
To this day i dont know how the house did not blow up,and i still shiver when i think of what could have happened.

Did you mention anything in passing to her after this?

During an incdent where a medium pressure main had burst and entire street in process of being evacuated and checked . Mate knocks door no answer so takes time to take readings through letterbox of porch which are not showing much as he walks away gets about twenty feet and the house explodes and tumbles like a pack of cards .Was put down to fridge motor kicking in..
Old habits die hard i still don`t ring door bells and always knock door or letter box

:LOL: Did'nt need one :LOL: He never even noticed outer casing was on the floor. It was in a cupboard like :rolleyes:

No, sent back to manufacturer, i think (just think) its been a faulty gas valve letting by and when he turned on the water the chambers been full of gas. Only been fitted 8 months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back