Easiest way to find the radiator flow "order"

Sponsored Links
If the Index radiator (thats the furthest from the PUMP) then all the rads before it should just need tweaking.
Correct me if I am wrong.
The required flow through a radiator with a given pump capacity for the system ( to keep things simple, let's assume that all necessities have been worked out) is regulated/adjusted by setting of the ls (this is one of the 80% of sytems without trv's).

The required flow through a radiator with a given pump capacity for the system ( to keep things simple, let's assume that all necessities have been worked out) is regulated/adjusted by setting of the ls (this is one of the 80% of sytems without trv's).

Then WHY are you concerned with measuring DT across boiler flow/returns on a parallel circuit?

I suppose DIA falls into the 'wide boy no nothing' category?

Time to put that shovel away. :rolleyes:

But it also assumes that the pipe sizing, radiators etc have all been calculated correctly.

Not the case in probably 90% of new age installers.

oversized radiators will have a different set of numbers to undersized radiators.

Small bore system will be different to microbore.

Open vented different to sealed.

It's all to do with flow rates through the circuits, get that right and the radiators will balance themselves with a little tweaking.

Sponsored Links
Doitall has spoken. All hail the might of doitall.

But it also assumes that the pipe sizing, radiators etc have all been calculated correctly.
Not the case in probably 90% of new age installers.
Truer words have not been spoken.
Shall we take a common real-life scenario with a boiler swap on and uncharted existing pipe (without microbore) system for a 3-bed semi heated by about 10 rads that were partially replaced over the years based on what was cheap and would fit easily rather than any kind of calculation?

That is the scenario one would find on the forums everyday with cheap chuck it in boiler swaps etc.

If you can't do the home work it becomes suck it and see, and that leads to spending hours trying to fine tune the radiators.

Chucking great big combi boilers in that are miles to big for the heating load is another problem.

Ben , you have been educated by the educated in the CC , give it up.

Oh , shame we can't cut and paste the thread. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I am starting to wonder whether you can't read to well, or that you are actually seriously delusional. Probably both.

I've said all there is to say in here and in the CC , are you denying ALL members of the CC are laughing at you? , who in the CC agree with your nonsense posting on this thread , please enlighten me?

Last time I looked in the CC there were 32 postings (2 being yours) . ALL 30 don't agree with your school boy twaddle.

Calm down Gaswizzard, no-ones laughing at anyone, and if Ben wants to do it by the book that's his prerogative.

I said I've never done it in 50 + years, the fact I think it's bullsh***t is here nor there.

Perhaps all this crab is necessary because modern heating persons don't know how to design a system, or more than likely there's some extra profit to be had.

Perhaps all this crap is necessary because modern heating persons don't know how to design a system, or more than likely there's some extra profit to be had.

Have to agree DIA. I think a lot of people on here have big balls theory wise when they would be better off learning the plumbing and mechanical side of things first and I don't just mean BGM. :rolleyes:

There can be too much little willy syndrome on here ;)

... if Ben wants to do it by the book that's his prerogative.
And I have done rather well by it.
So far, I have had 4 breakdowns on the total of my installs.
1. Pcb fried, WB chap reckoned due to lightning.
2. Blocked condensate due to large amounts of fat in waste from washing up (after I had told her she was going to have a problem with that because the waste pipe went up a bit.)
3. Frozen condensate because I forgot to insulate it. :oops: :oops:
4. Duff pump because they'd let the boiler run on 0 pressure.
And then there is the fact that most breakdowns I do, are on systems that are just simply crap installs/swaps. Very rare that I get called out and find the system clean, neatly piped up, neatly wired up and generally done by the book.
Could be coincidence of course.

Perhaps all this crab is necessary because modern heating persons don't know how to design a system, or more than likely there's some extra profit to be had.
With steamers, it does make a difference imho.

4 breakdowns Ben as you only do 1 install a year that could be a every boiler for last 4 years ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back