Twyford close coupled cystern needs changing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Twyford toilet cystern which we think needs changing. My husband bought a new syphon for it, but when he removed the cystern we have found it has two large cracks running across the porcelain outside. You can't see the cracks on the inside of the cystern, but they look ominous and we think it may be safer to change the whole cystern. The only info printed into the cystern is S7 and Jan 1978. It doesn't even say it's Twyfords, but that's what is on the toilet pan, so we assume it is a Twyfords cystern. I am uploading a photo of the bottom/fittings of the cystern and would be very grateful for any info on how to purchase a cystern to fit the existing toilet. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You will have to change the toilet. The cistern is a 9litre flush, all new cistern are for a 6litre flush.

Fitting a 6litre cistern onto your toilet wouldn't work. Not enough water to empty the bowl.

Being your toilet is 33 years old, I would say it could do with it being replaced.

Andy

Most flushing mechanisms are volume-adjustable, so whatever came with the new cistern would probably work.

Most syphons supplied nowadays are adjustable with removable bungs; 6, 7, or 9 litre.
Flush valves are mostly volume-adjustable with a sliding lever.
Flapper valves, the flap rotates to adjust the volume.

Your cistern is not coloured, is it?

Sponsored Links
All new cisterns are smaller in size. They hold less water. No matter what syphon is fitted the cistern will not hold 9 litres.

Andy

Thanks to all who replied to my query. We have just got home from loo shopping. Hubby now has to remove the old one (yuck!) and attempt to fit the new one. I may get back to you if we get stuck again. Thank you for all your valuable comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back