Re-pointing ridge tiles in below zero temps before the snow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had a leak, and had a roofer round who told us it was the mortar/pointing in the ridge tiles that needed re-pointing.

The thing is, he did it yesterday morning (when the temp was below zero), finishing around 4 hours before it started snowing heavily (for about 8 hours).

The temperature's been just above zero today (2-4), though it's raining now this evening (and forecast to rain for the next few days).

What I want to know is, is it typical practice to do re-pointing repairs in this weather?

Will the mortar set ok? Will the below zero temperatures and snow yesterday affect anything? Should I be concerned?

Sponsored Links
IMHO repointing ridge or hips isnt the answer anyway and will come back to bite you. Ridge should be pointed in the same mortar as it was bedded in..
There are plenty of guys stating we do this we do that and then it'll be ok.. ..it wont be and never will be.. yours is doomed to failure. in my personal opinion.

I agree with the above, the ridge should have come of, re-bedded and pointed in one go.
The chances are it will blow, plus it would have been better to hang on a few weeks until milder weather.

Oh dear - the travelling Roofer strikes again :cry:

Sponsored Links
If the ridge was the problem, then something needed doing in any case.

A temporary polythene cover may or may not have been appropriate, in which case something "temporary" would have been needed to the ridge.

Just see what it is like in a few weeks time, and then if need be get the tiles rebedded in better weather. Never repoint, and watch them to ensure that the ridges do come off

BTW, felt beneath the tiles should have stopped water getting in. If you can see torn felt from the loft, then get this done, and not just the ridges

ask around for someone recommended, who will do a better job when that bodge falls out in a few weeks.

make sure you have a real local address and a real company name, not just a mobile number.

John D - good advice , but some people use their house dwelling relatives landlines as a " call centre " - and they`ve got lotsa relatives ;) And some drive the smartest signwritten vans on the roads :idea:

ask around for someone recommended, who will do a better job when that bodge falls out in a few weeks.

make sure you have a real local address and a real company name, not just a mobile number.

Are there any forum regulars who are roofers in the Wigan area?

It's so difficult to get a decent recommendation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back