replacement boiler cost

mkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Just a quick question to see if I'm being 'ripped@ off by a gas engineer.
Basically our 20 year old boiler is Knackered !! Gas engineer suggests replacing it with a new condensing bolier....fair enough. But he says the labour cost alone would come to about £500.!! This he says would ' involve removing the old tanks from upstairs and putting the new bolier in the same place as the old one, flushing the system, small amount of new pipework and a bit of bricking up on the outside wall .' He says it would take him about 2 days. Is that a fair price ? £500 for two days? £250 per day with a little bit of pipe and a couple of elbows !!
Don't get me wrong the guys fully trained and expeienced and he's got to make a living...but £250 labour per day here in Manchester !!!
But if you guys say that's the going rate then fair enough I'll accept that.
Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would actually say that is cheap for 2 days labour and associated materials, even for manchester.

Why should labour be cheaper in Manchester? Daily living costs are about the same anywhere.

with a little bit of pipe and a couple of elbows !!

:rolleyes: yeh, they just clip on the wall and pipes find there way onto the old ones. all you gotta do is sing the special song.....

Little bit of pipe was the engineers term not mine. Rather pay him £250 per day than a solicitor £150 per HOUR but still £250 per day seems excessive >>>>

Sponsored Links
i wouldn't get out of bed to do a £500 boiler change!

by the time i've put fuel in the van to get the materials, get to you and again the next day.
coupled with the cost of the chemicals to flush the system, the flux, solder, fittings, pipe, cable, scale inhibitor etc.

then there is my registration currently £700+ per year (325 gas + 391 elec)
then i have to take my ACS at about £900 every 5 years
then there is public liability coming in at around £450 a year.

so if you can't afford to have it done by a qualified proffessional, im sure mr Polski will fit it illegally for tuppence :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Can I just say to the OP that you clearly know nothing about running a business, speaking as a non-plumber do you really think that £250 a day realates to £1250 clear profit a week?

The costs rack up and up and up and up and up....................

Then there's the days with no work and the cost of honouring the gaurentee if there's a problem and the stress/responsibility of working with gas.

I would snap his hand off as he is undercharging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

500 is very cheap, if you want comparison ask british gas for a quote.

£500 is very cheap,id say 700 is round about,its not just a case of old in new out.you have to take in consideration nowadays gas pipe size,were condense is going to go,also blow off when converted to sealed system,flushing system etc..

Thanks all for your replies....seems it's a fair price.
Also seems the engineer, according to some of your replies is doing the job for next to nothing !!!!! ' Wouldn't get out of bed to do a boiler change for £500 ' Wow some of you guys must be rolling in it. I've got friends that are highly qualified in certain fields that have been made redundant and would get out of bed for £50 a day to put food on the table, yet there are people who wouldn't get out of bed for £250 per day !!!! Wow. No wonder Mr Pole's busy !!

Don't forget blokes like to boast about their earnings and some guys lie about their income, I think the average wage for a plumber is about £20,000 to £40,000 with a lot of hard work and stress.

I'm not saying anyones lieing on here.

£500 really is cheap. Get some references from other local people he has worked for, phone and ask them what they think of his work, go round and see them (they might be mates of his putting in a good word) and look at their boiler to see if it is new.

Check if he is Gassafe registered and ask to see his card (with his name and photo on it).

Does his quote include a powerflush with cleaning chemicals and a pressure machine to remove the old rust and sediment that will always be present in a 20 year old system? If not it may clog your new boiler and wear out the pump (thius will not be covered by guarantee). The cleaning alone takes the best part of a day if done properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back