Welding/Soldering radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I ordered a 'victorian style' rad and on installation it was leaking from one of the welded union joints. The supplier sent me a new one which is fine and they didn't want the old one back and asked that I dispose of it.

It seems a shame to throw out a lovely (and fairly expensive) rad and if it could be repaired I could certainly make use of it. Do you think it is possible to have this soldered or welded?

View media item 19189 View media item 19188

Sponsored Links
Personally I would braze this, using an oxy acetylene torch.....look upon it as a high temperature soldering, but using brass as a filler, rather than tin/lead.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I think it's chrome over steel, not really sure as it looks rusty where the water has leaked.

It almost certainly will be chrome over steel....with some Sifbronze flux and a No.5 nozzle that would braze fine - with not too much discolouration either.
John :)

Its T.I.G. welded with an orbital welder, see if you can get it re-welded (maybe a local engineering firm will do it for you)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back