In Dublin's fair city

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

We're planning a trip to Dublin for my brother-in-law's 40th birthday this summer. I've heard its an expensive place to visit. Anyone been recently and can shed some light on exactly how expensive it is to eat, drink and generally spend time in Dublin?

Maybe pass on some tips as to how and/or where we can go to get good value for money...? Anything we shouldn't miss seeing or doing while we're there?

Not sure if people are exagerating but we're slightly worried we wont be able to afford to do much once we get there...?

Sponsored Links
If you're that worried about eating and drinking why don't you call in a supermarket before travelling and pick up some tinnies and pies. :)

Dublin was great before the euro crisis. I would reccomend going to amsterdam,you are still paying euro prices but its a little different there for night time fun.
My second home... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

One of my mates is half Irish, so has to return to Dublin occasionally to visit the relatives. Some of the prices he pays for eating and drinking sound very steep. Sometimes he stays in hotels in the city with his brother, and a £5 pint of Guinness in a pub isn't unusual. Several times, they have lived on KFC for most of the trip, because it was too expensive to eat anything else. My brother went to Dublin a few years ago, and apart from pubs, and maybe the river Liffe, didn't reckon there was much there. He got bored after yet another night on the Guiness.

Can I suggest an alternative: Prague. I have been there many times, and it is the ideal city to enjoy yourself. Cheap to get there on Easyjet/Ryanair/BMI (less than 2hr flight), and an oversupply of excellent hotels of all grades means low prices. The beer is some of the best in the world, with a huge variety. Beer starts at less than £1 pint, if you avoid the Old Town Square area. You may pay up to £1.75 there. :LOL: Eating out in the many restaurants is inexpensive. I often pay £5 or £6 for 2 course lunch with a beer. Maybe £10 ish for nice 2 course dinner with a beer or two.

Then there is the city itself. It's called the city of 100 spires, because of all the churches on the skyline. Then there's the river/Charles Bridge, Castle/St Vitus Cathedral, medieval cobbled streets, Old Town, Wenceslas Sq, etc, etc, etc.

Good deals for hotels here - http://www.alpharooms.com/

An alternative is Krakow. Really nice city, where everything is cheap. All because Prague and Krakow aren't in the Euro. I don't do Euro countries any more. Too damned expensive.

Sponsored Links
Yeah but how much are the brothels?

Thanks guys, unfortunately a) its not me making the decision - his wife has decided Dublin is the venue - we've just got to decide if we can afford to go with them or not. And b) there'll be 5 couples travelling, all of whom are married with children - unfortunately i don't think we'll be making use of the nightime entertainment you've so kindly researched for me! ;)

Prague sounds a much better option to me... :(

Slightly worred when a bar advertises its drinks promotion night on every Thursday by announcing "after 6pm, all draught drinks are ONLY 4euros (about £3.45) a pint!!

How much is a pint normally then!! Don't think i'll be spending too much time drinking to be merry!!

Sponsored Links
Back