Glass Tiles Fell Off Wall - Hand Needed Stitches!

You've focussed on electrics and planning but if you've been knocking through walls are you sure that there was no planning required there and are you sure that the council won't pull you up on the insulation regs.

From my experience council building control tend to sub out the electrical part of the sign off - they just want the cert from the electrician.

Sponsored Links
You've focussed on electrics and planning but if you've been knocking through walls are you sure that there was no planning required there and are you sure that the council won't pull you up on the insulation regs.

From my experience council building control tend to sub out the electrical part of the sign off - they just want the cert from the electrician.
They're just internal plasterboard walls. I'm required under my lease to inform the freeholder (or RTM company if there is one). As I'm an RTM director, it was hard not to inform myself ;)

However, I've spoken to the management company that is appointed by the RTM to manage the block (as they're experts in these matters) and they've pretty much said that the work can go ahead but I am awaiting feedback from them on whether a surveyor will be needed to sign off the work just to satisfy the conditions of my lease. Being an RTM director, they've already said this shouldn't be difficult given my position.

Planning permission isn't needed as they're internal plasterboard walls (non-load bearing), but I've kicked off a Building Regulations approval process under the Regularisation path just to cover my back.

Quick update...

He is now in full swing of redoing all the tiling. You can see from this picture that he's put down a much better substrate for the glass tiles:

And here's two of the ceramic tiled walls:

What concerns me about the last two are the gaps. The gap between the tiles and the ceiling in the first pic I can deal with - I'm planning on getting some trim to go around the ceiling edges. However, the gap between the tiles in the corner on the second pic is completely unnecessary, especially as he did a much better job of that gap on the other side. I've said I'm probably going to have to ask him to redo that wall again, but he reckons he can make it look good with grout and silicone. I don't think so. Anyone else?

the setting out on that wall is wrong. he's allowed himself to end up with a silly cut after a full tile instead of working the cuts. Not sure where your going to end up with this job but no, grout or silicone will look c**p on that.

Same goes for the gap at the top BTW, bad setting out.

Sponsored Links
As tpt says - looks like he's trying to do it will full tiles rather than cutting. Doesn't usually work - walls & ceilings aren't usually vertical / horizontal and you end up with slithers & huge grout lines - very poor.

You saved the tiles last time because of the dot & dab. If he's stuck them properly this time the tiles may get destroyed if they have to come off.

How have they fixed the backer boards to the walls?

If it wasnt for the pictures I'd swear this post is a wind up.

Why on earth do you persist with this incompetent fool? Why didn't you drop him at the first sign of anything major going wrong?

And why pay all that cash? Do you have a contract with hm? (doubt it) Do you have receipts? (doubt it).

Hope it all gets sorted soon, but, as a landlord myself, I pity your poor tenants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back