Plug for Ikea lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi all.
Hope this photo works!

I've been left a string of Ikea 'Glansa' lights in a home I've just moved in to.
But there's no mains plug!

I've phoned Ikea UK and they have no knowledge of the product, let alone how I can plug it in!

By looking at the photo attached - can anyone advise me please? Is there a third party plug that has this connection?

Hope someone can help! [/img]

Sponsored Links
A quick net search appears to suggest that IKEA's GLANSA range came out in 2007. There are shedloads of GLANSA products on e-bay!

Looking at that plug and the label, I suspect they are for ELV lighting given they appear to suggest 24V DC.

I wonder if there is a power supply unit missing?

Sorry I can't help further but try some research on the net.

B

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Forget about the connector.

Buy something like THIS

(the pic shows a 12v one, but they also sell 24v versions.)

Then chop off the IKEA plug and wire the lead direct into the terminals on the eBay driver.

Simples!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
but it looks to me as if the OP's plug has two flat 'prongs' at right angles.
Looks like 1 flat and 1 round to me john :)
On looking again (many times!), you may well be right! I think it's one of those situations in which it's very difficult to rid one's mind of one's 'first impression'! The shadow on the top of what is possibly the round (central) pin can make it look very much like a flat one - and that's presumably what my eyes and brain first saw, and then found it difficult to 'shake off'!

Kind Regards, John

But there's no mains plug!
Just as well...

screenshot_146.jpg

:LOL:

Sorry for the poor original photography folks!
Hopefully this will help -- //www.diynot.com/network/Elgm/albums/21825/81660
To confirm, it's one flat pin (the larger one), and one round. Thanks for your help.
Thanks - that's pretty conclusive. I think the problem was my eyesight (or, at least, visual perception), rather than your photography!

As people of pointed out, the main issue is not that of connectors - you appear to be missing the 'thing' (whether you call it a 'transformer', 'power supply' or whatever) which converts the mains voltage (230V-240V) to 24V.

Kind Regards, John

Thank John - yes, you're absolutely right ... that's what I'm missing.

I must admit, as a DIY dullard, I'm somewhat stuck now.

Am I right in saying that there's nothing I can buy in the shops / online that'll take me from that two pin plug into the mains?

Thank John - yes, you're absolutely right ... that's what I'm missing. I must admit, as a DIY dullard, I'm somewhat stuck now. Am I right in saying that there's nothing I can buy in the shops / online that'll take me from that two pin plug into the mains?
As has been explained, you need a mains to 24V 'transformer'/ converter/ driver/ whatever. You might struggle to find one into which you can actually insert that plug - but the most obvious place to look would be Ikea, who presumably made the original one.

However, as TTC said early on, there are countless items out there (such as the one he linked to) which would do the job - but they would usually have screw terminals on their output, rather than a socket into which to insert that plug. As he said, you would simply have to cut the plug off and connect the cable to those screw terminals. If you're not comfortable doing that, you could obviously get an electrician to do it for you.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back