Wiring from transformer melted?!

S

squeaky1985

Wondered if someone might be able to look at this picture and tell me what might have happened! 12V downlights in bathroom kept tripping the switch when trying to switch them on and once I took them out of the wall I quickly realised why!

I've since replaced this unit and everything is OK again but I'm concerned how the cable managed to fry itself! Or perhaps it was mice?!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Good point! That quite possibly has happened. Worrying! This is the first old house I've lived in and I'm slowly finding some ancient techniques under the cobwebs!

I replaced this unit with a fire safe IP65 unit and when I get up to the loft in a few days to replace all the units, I'll make sure they're all set up correctly.

I've replaced all the lamps with LEDs so at least the running temperatures will be much lower than halogens for now.

Thanks for the tips!

Sponsored Links
That is not a transformer by the way, it is a switch mode power supply an as such may not drive LEDs.

Winston won't accept that things are what they are called - even if it used to be the name of something else before they were invented.

E.g. Blackberry

Winston won't accept that things are what they are called - even if it used to be the name of something else before they were invented.
Sorry to disappoint you but Winston is correct - that is not a transformer, and the maker writing that word on the case does not make it one.

It may transform voltages but it does not do so in a way that matches the definition of an electrical transformer.

Sorry to disappoint you but Winston is correct - that is not a transformer,
Yes it is. The manufacturer calls it an electronic transformer therefore it is.

and the maker writing that word on the case does not make it one.
Yes it does.

overview-hero.png.original.png

It may transform voltages
Q.E.D. and an inescapable flaw in your argument.

but it does not do so in a way that matches the definition of an electrical transformer.
It does the same in a different way - invented since the definition was written.

Indeed. I might have fractionally more sympathy for winston if it just said "Transformer" - but it actually says "Electronic Transformer", which is a new phrase to describe these things which, as you say, were not invented (or even dreamed of) when the (unqualified) word "transformer" came into being.

I wonder if winston has the same problem with things like "electronic documents", "electronic signatures", "electronic dictionaries", "electronic cigarettes" and suchlike?

Kind Regards, John

Sorry to disappoint you but Winston is correct - that is not a transformer,
Yes it is. The manufacturer calls it an electronic transformer therefore it is.

and the maker writing that word on the case does not make it one.
Yes it does.

overview-hero.png.original.png

It may transform voltages
Q.E.D. and an inescapable flaw in your argument.

but it does not do so in a way that matches the definition of an electrical transformer.
It does the same in a different way - invented since the definition was written.

The manufacturer is wrong, along with electrical wholesalers, and so many people on here. There is no such thing as an electronic transformer. It is not the only thing mis described. Another example is digital aerial so often quoted in shops and wholesalers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back