Intermediate Switch(es) Required?

Sponsored Links
I've ordered the thing I've ordered already, but I do like the look of that and it may be a back up... can I stick modular gubbins in the back of that? What is it and where do I get it (if I need it)?
It's part of this range:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In..._Steel/index.html#Varilight_Grid_Plates_Steel

But other makes and other suppliers are available.

I only picked it to show what a wide 3-gang looks like, and I went to the TLC site because I know they have good photographs.

AFAIK most grid systems use their own modules, although I'd not be surprised if a maker chose to be compatible with MK or Crabtree. Also, I believe the Scolmore Minigrid modules do only fit their faceplates, and vice-versa, as they don't use a yoke system - the modules clip directly into the faceplates.

I have found this behind the two switches (1-gang intermediate on the left, 2-gang 2-way on the right) and I reckon this means there is a single safe zone going vertically upwards from the right-hand-side switch.

Lights1.jpg

...and...

Lights2.jpg

The wires appear to 'jump' across to the intermediate switch through the back box.

The earth wires that can be seen in the left-hand back box aren't connected to the front of the switch, but into the bottom-right corner of the back box. Is that how it's supposed to be?

The earth wire you can see in the right-hand back box obviously does connect to the front of the right-hand switch.

If I am to swap out these two switches for a single 3-gang, would I connect a single earth wire to the front of the switch, in the terminal provided, and then terminate all others in a chocolate box, or cram them all into the one terminal?

I'd add that the stainless steel Click Deco switch I've got looks much better than the one on the wall being used as an intermediate - it's got a radial pattern in the metal as opposed to up-down lines... so it might be another style from the same range, as opposed to stainless steel.

I have found this behind the two switches (1-gang intermediate on the left, 2-gang 2-way on the right) and I reckon this means there is a single safe zone going vertically upwards from the right-hand-side switch.
Yes, it looks as if that is the case - so, in that sense, you are lucky. However, there are an awful lot of cables/conductors there, and I think you might struggle to cope with them all within one, single-width, back box.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back