Second hand boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My old boiler died last week and we are considering some options. We wanted to have a combi boiler at some point but I have been told it will be between 4 and 5K and we will need to wait for two years in order to be able to afford it. In the meantime I was told that installing a second hand boiler would be a cheap solution in the meantime.
Any arguments against or in favour?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
My first question would be, "why is it secondhand ? "
It's not like people swap them like cars.

andytw

What do you mean by second hand?? I think you will struggle finding a gas safe engineer to fit it for you, what work is involved in the 4-5k quote as that seems excessive to me?

Sponsored Links
If you are considering a combi then presumably you don't have a combi now ?
There will be more work and expense involved in going for a different solution rather then just replacing the existing boiler with similar.

andytw

My first question would be, "why is it secondhand ? "
It's not like people swap them like cars.
I think this would come into it, but equally a mate of mate fitted a 3-4yo second hand boiler from someone who had decided to put a combi in.

Cant remember what he paid, but not a lot, and its given no trouble that i know o, certainly its still in the house.

Daniel

You could always get an Intergas HRE combi and use it as a system boiler until the conversion work was done.

I wouldn't install a second hand boiler that's for sure.

What's on the death certificate?

Boilers have been known to die in very suspicious circumstances by unscrupulous workmen looking for work or quotas.

Make, model and age please.

It's an Energysaver...so it's been on borrowed time since the day it was installed :)

Why on earth are the quotes are 4 to 5K to convert to a combi setup?

New warrantied 25kw Vokera Excel from Plumb Centre @ 399 plus VAT pm fatplumber who is on on this forum and ask him to fit it.

The OP here has clearly not had proper competitive quotes!

I am sure that I could drive from London, stay in one of those places that Lennie Henry likes, and fit a good boiler for about £2600 total.

So someone living close to her could do it at the more usual £2200 or even less if not using an Intergas, Viessmann or Vaillant.

Tony

It is an Energysaver , how on earth do you know??.
I took a look inside when the engineer opened it up and there was rust everywhere and the asbestos was peeling off so even if it was fixed I would not consider it safe.
The idea of a second hand one seems plausible as many houses decide to get rid of them when redecorating but I agree that 4 or 5K seems excessive for a combi boiler ( i had two quotes around the same price in Southampton). I will get a different quote for a combi boiler and see what happen.
Thanks for all the useful comments and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back