Shower ceiling switch tripping my electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all im having a bit of trouble wiring up a ceiling switch ready for my shower to be fitted every-time i try to test the switch it trips all my electricics and everything cuts out.. the ceiling switch, mcb and cable to the loft was already fitted by a competent electrician back when i had the house re-wired and worked fine with the supply wires only attached and when i pulled the cord the neon light came on but soon as iv connected the load out wires and tried the cord again all my electrics trip. the wire to the shower unit is hanging free out of arms way from the ceiling at the minute would this need be attached to the shower? not attached the shower yet because i need to tile the wall before a fit the shower but i wanted to get the wiring in place ready so i can tile accordingly ...

Sponsored Links
What have you done to the end of the free-hanging cable to make it safe?

Nothing ??? Are the conductors touching?

I can't believe this is the reason but from your description ???

Out of 'arms' way could still touch other parts of the body.

sounds like you've trapped a wire in the switch box (the conductors are quite big, so its easy to do).

Take the new wires off the switch and test it again, just to make sure the rest of the set up is OK without your additions. Examine the wires inside the switch box to make sure there is no damage. It is possible that the new length of cable is faulty - its unlikely, but possible.

What test equipment do you have?

What have you done to the end of the free-hanging cable to make it safe?

Nothing ??? Are the conductors touching?

I can't believe this is the reason but from your description ???

Out of 'arms' way could still touch other parts of the body.

no they are not touching its new cable thats has been cut yet and it is out of arms way nobody can touch it unless they have a ladder

Sponsored Links
sounds like you've trapped a wire in the switch box (the conductors are quite big, so its easy to do).

Take the new wires off the switch and test it again, just to make sure the rest of the set up is OK without your additions. Examine the wires inside the switch box to make sure there is no damage. It is possible that the new length of cable is faulty - its unlikely, but possible.

What test equipment do you have?

yes iv already tried that one all is fine before my additions... maybe it is the wire but i dont have any testing equipment im afraid all i know is the setup as iv fitted 2 showers before in my other houses iv lived in without any hassle...

thanks for ur reply

i dont have any testing equipment im afraid
If you didn't have screwdrivers would you think it was OK to do DIY work because you could use the point of a knife instead?

Would you not bother to own a hammer, on the grounds that you could bash nails in with a small rock?

update: i took a chance returning the cable i bought to the supplier turns out he said it might be bad batch of wire he had as a few have returned it also so he gave me another length of the same wire of a different roll... wired it up and everything works so problem solved...

thanks all for ur replys all being mostly negative and sarcastic but hey! there was me thinking this was a site for advice...

i dont have any testing equipment im afraid
If you didn't have screwdrivers would you think it was OK to do DIY work because you could use the point of a knife instead?

Would you not bother to own a hammer, on the grounds that you could bash nails in with a small rock?

no but i know to turn the electrics off before i mess with wires, just beacuse i dont have an electrical tester doesnt mean i cant carry out basic diy work and dont grap the yellow pages in a panic to call my local electrician... get a grip pal!!!

just beacuse i dont have an electrical tester doesnt mean i cant carry out basic diy work
YES

IT

DOES.

A multimeter, at least, is an essential tool to have if you want to work on your electrics. It is just as important to have that correct tool as it is to have screwdrivers to use on screws instead of the point of a vegetable knife, wirecutters to use instead of nail scissors, wirestrippers to use instead of teeth, and so on.

just beacuse i dont have an electrical tester doesnt mean i cant carry out basic diy work
YES

IT

DOES.

A multimeter, at least, is an essential tool to have if you want to work on your electrics. It is just as important to have that correct tool as it is to have screwdrivers to use on screws instead of the point of a vegetable knife, wirecutters to use instead of nail scissors, wirestrippers to use instead of teeth, and so on.

although i value your input if u had read my previous posts i stated everything was fine before i attached the new cable leading to my shower unit so it was obvious the problem was with from the load out onwards therefore no tester needed... its not a case of having the correct tools its a case of common sense and working it out yourself...

i bet it grieves you knowing iv fixed the fault without using a tester

although i value your input if u had read my previous posts i stated everything was fine before i attached the new cable leading to my shower unit so it was obvious the problem was with from the load out onwards therefore no tester needed
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

DIY electrical work is not compulsory - you don't have to do it if you don't want to.

But if you choose to do it then a multimeter, at least, is an essential tool to have.

... its not a case of having the correct tools its a case of common sense and working it out yourself...
Common sense?

You don't seem to have any, or know what it is.

Not in the slightest.

Whether you needed any test equipment to resolve this problem is utterly irrelevant.

The problem is your fundamental attitude - it is grievously wrong.

i dont have any testing equipment
Completely, 100%, without-the-slightest-doubt, unacceptable.

thanks to taylortwocities
No problems. You were very unlucky to buy a new length of cable and for it to have a fault.

But it does happen from time to time. I'm not sure where you got that cable from?
Some of the sheds do buy on price and there are some less than wonderful manufacturers out there…..

BAS is having a justified dig about testing. You would have discovered the fault if you had carried out even basic tests before turning it on. Hopefully you found it before plaster and tiling had been carried out...

thanks to taylortwocities
No problems. You were very unlucky to buy a new length of cable and for it to have a fault.

But it does happen from time to time. I'm not sure where you got that cable from?
Some of the sheds do buy on price and there are some less than wonderful manufacturers out there…..

BAS is having a justified dig about testing. You would have discovered the fault if you had carried out even basic tests before turning it on. Hopefully you found it before plaster and tiling had been carried out...

i got the cable from wilko but returnred no problem

although i value your input if u had read my previous posts i stated everything was fine before i attached the new cable leading to my shower unit so it was obvious the problem was with from the load out onwards therefore no tester needed
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

DIY electrical work is not compulsory - you don't have to do it if you don't want to.

But if you choose to do it then a multimeter, at least, is an essential tool to have.

... its not a case of having the
correct tools its a case of common

sense and working it out yourself...
Common sense?

You don't seem to have any, or know what it is.

Not in the slightest.

Whether you needed any test equipment to resolve this problem is utterly irrelevant.

The problem is your fundamental attitude - it is grievously wrong.

i dont have any testing equipment
Completely, 100%, without-the-slightest-doubt, unacceptable.

Then we will agree to disagree u sound like a bit of a numpty to me that would probably overcharge someone given the chance... At the end of the day I done the job safely by turning the power off, fixed the problem and saved myself a packet by not calling an electrician out because I was perfectly competent doing it myself so perfect common sense in my opinion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back