Installation of Chinese gas wok cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I hope someone can help me out here. First of all let me say that I am only 16 years old, and I have just started my apprenticeship in plumbing, so as you can expect not a lot of knowledge :) but I am willing to learn and hopefully one day I'll become a very good plumbing engineer. One of the plumbers looking after me, has just given me a task which he knows is a bit too much for someone who just started, but I want to show him that I will find the answers and with your help guys I hope I do it, at the end of the day that's is how I'll learn things by trying to find the answers.

Ok, in about a week or two he have to install a Chinese type gas wok cooker in a restaurant, basically he have to replace the old one, so he showed me the cooker and said this to me:

1. Ok, take a closer look at the cooker and tell me if you think there is anything wrong with the plumbing?

2. Then he said: Ok we have a 15mm water and a 22mm gas pipes that are currently connected to the existing old cooker. You need to tell me what parts/components do we need to connect the new cooker (it's not brand new actually, it's reconditioned)?

So first I looked at the cooker's plumbing underneath and I have to say them small tubes look a bit untidy, I've looked at the joints and most of them have the jointing compound, although some of hem feel a bit loose. First when I looked at the valve I thought I would need a 28mm to 22mm coupling reducer, but on the actual valve it says 1" and when I measured it inside it was almost 30mm internal diameter, so I guess the 28mm coupling won't work, although I have looked everywhere and can't find 30mm to 22mm reducer?

Please take a look at the images on the address blow where you'll get the idea of what exactly I am talking about.

http://www.hthweb.com/cooker

I would highly appreciate if somebody can give me advice on that.

Many thanks.

P.S. I'll be ok with the water connections, but puzzled with the gas.

Sponsored Links
Yoof of today and their lack of understanding of metric and imperial :LOL: ;).

COMCAT is a different planet to the rest of us, so I will hold judgement, but that looks like a bit of an abortion to me.

Having 22mm pipe doesn't mean it is correct - it could still be too small.

Don't expect a free ride here dude - this is your home work and any answers given here are (hopefully) to point you in the right direction; so that you can develop you understanding and skills in working things out.

Have you appraised yourself of the relevant TB's in reconditioned appliances?

Does your employer give you access to decent literature?

Why are Plumbers fitting a GAS cooker ?.

I think your employer has been very harsh in giving you this to look at - you don't yet know anything about domestic gas and he's giving you commercial stuff to think about. Most engineers would convert to commercial after a few years doing domestic, as it's a whole new ball game

If there's a 1" isolation valve on the cooker then it's quite likely that it'll need a 28mm supply, so if the existing supply is 22mm it'll need to be removed and replaced all the way back to the gas meter. You shouldn't be reducing the size going into the valve

Sponsored Links
Adam 16 years old, are you sure you aren't a 40 year old restaurant owner looking to fit a cooker yourself?.

I hope the rat I smell is not scuttling around your kitchen ;)

Thanks for your time guys, to be honest I wasn't expecting such negative answers.

To: FiremanT: Wonder how much did you know about this subject when you were 16 years of age?

To: Dan_Robinson: "A free ride", this is what the internet is for mate, that is why I am here to find the answer, my mentor doesn't care how I find the answer he just want me to find it, which is a way of learning, that's the whole idea. No one is expecting me to fit the cooker, just to find out what is required for the job, you clearly didn't understand my topic, but I thank you for your time.

Anyway, thanks.

'Ere, I want negative...do I not even get a thanks? No? OK then, sort yourself out :confused:

Accusing experienced long-standing forum members of not understanding the topic or of being negative really isn't the way to get the answers you want... if you need more clarification, ask more questions, don't give up just because you haven't got what you want first time around. Presumably as you're studying this you'll have the relevant text books, so those people you haven't upset can still point you to the relevant bits of those books. It's against forum rules to give direct advice on gas work, but we can help you find the answers you need...if you're nice to us.

What text books do you have?

'Ere, I want negative...do I not even get a thanks? No? OK then, sort yourself out :confused:

Accusing experienced long-standing forum members of not understanding the topic or of being negative really isn't the way to get the answers you want... if you need more clarification, ask more questions, don't give up just because you haven't got what you want first time around. Presumably as you're studying this you'll have the relevant text books, so those people you haven't upset can still point you to the relevant bits of those books. It's against forum rules to give direct advice on gas work, but we can help you find the answers you need...if you're nice to us.

What text books do you have?

Sorry Andrew, you're right you wasn't negative and thanks for that. The book that I have is just Plumbing Level 1 Trainee Guide, I try to look most of my information online. I was looking online, but can't find a reducing fitting from 1" to 22mm, the 1" male would screw into the valve and then the 22mm gas copper would fit into the other end of the reducer, I think this is an option?

As I said previously, if there's a 1" connection on the cooker that suggests you'll need 28mm into it, not 22mm as 22mm might well be too small. If there's currently only 22mm in the kitchen, a new supply will need to be fitted, possibly all the way back to the meter if it's only 22mm at the meter.

It'll also need an interlock fitting so the gas can't be turned on unless the extractor fan is on.

There isn't a lot of technical gas stuff freely available online. You need to buy yourself some books

Well you've shot your wad there matey.

"this is what the internet is for mate,".

You won't get far in life with that attitude.

I have given you a massive clue where to start looking. . Had you replied with a better attitude I might have gone a bit further.

As I said previously, if there's a 1" connection on the cooker that suggests you'll need 28mm into it, not 22mm as 22mm might well be too small. If there's currently only 22mm in the kitchen, a new supply will need to be fitted, possibly all the way back to the meter if it's only 22mm at the meter.

It'll also need an interlock fitting so the gas can't be turned on unless the extractor fan is on.

There isn't a lot of technical gas stuff freely available online. You need to buy yourself some books

The valve on the cooker is 1", so a 1" male fitting would screw into the valve, but on the other side, I guess it has to be 22mm male so that the 22mm copper would be screwed into it it with a compression type fitting.

So far I find this:

http://www.leagrave.net/product/30062/endfeed_male_adaptor_22mm_to_1_

but I think the one I need is male to male, so that the 1" male goes into the valve and the 22mm copper is screwed with a compression fitting to the other side rather than solder. I am thinking in case the cooker has to me moved or disconnected? Because with this fitting you still need to use another screw on/ compression type fitting in order to move the cooker if you have to.

If there's no data plate then I'd be suspicious about whether it's actually approved for use in the UK. Does it have any instructions? If not then it can't be fitted as you can't possibly do the necessary safety checks to ensure that it's being supplied with the correct amount of gas and is working correctly, as you don't have the information required

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back