staying alive...maintaining ancient radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ancient radiator system (75-100 years old). Last year I replaced the boiler, and the radiators worked well. This year half of them are cold. How do I buy time? I can't afford to replace the entire system!

Sponsored Links
Back to basics; bleed them, shut down all except one to force heat through, open valves fully to determine heat order and then balance appropriately, consider gentle chemical cleansing to remove contamination, take each one off in turn and flush outside with mains water.

Out of interest, could you post a picture of a 100 year old radiator. I'm sure we would all like to see one.

Haven`t you seen a cast-iron column rad ?"take outside and flush" close down to force through"....on a gravity system? never mind just undo the 3/4 inch rad valves on the iron pipes and get a set of sackwheels under it. Out of interest , are you in Pimlico

OK, I guess...of course, the valves have been painted over and I was warned not to try to force them with a wrench...maybe a solvent? Arragh....
By the way, the boiler was 75 years when I replaced it...

Sponsored Links
tell us about how you cleaned the system before fitting the new boiler

and what sort of sludge and scale you got out

and what anti-corrosion chemicals you added on refilling

Is it pressurised?

does it have a circulating pump?

what happens when you bleed the rads?

tell us about how you cleaned the system before fitting the new boiler

and what sort of sludge and scale you got out

and what anti-corrosion chemicals you added on refilling

Is it pressurised?

does it have a circulating pump?

what happens when you bleed the rads?

There are several questions there John that will obviously incur the wrath of Nige F - as he appears to own a crystal ball and is all seeing, all knowing :LOL:

John D - shouldn't you be over ont eh electrics forum telling everybody to fit RCBOs :LOL:

peckie - surely whoever you got to fit the new boiler a year ago did some remedial work to the system at the time? They should have some idea of how the system is set up, and if it's less than a year is the work still under warranty?

Obviously if it's as simple as bleeding teh rads, then that wont be covered, but might be worth a quick call to test the water (sorry)

OK I'll call the furnace people...but in your opinions (so I don't get bamboozled) would you think it's a blocked pipe, the pump or sludge, given that a) some work both upstairs and downstairs and some do not, and b) they all worked last year, even of some were hotter than others?
Thanks for your help :D

you're not going give the information, then?

I would if I had a clue what you were asking about...I go down and look at the boiler and don't even know how to turn it up or down,,,I guess you are all real DIYers, I'm a complete beginner...

PS: The boiler installers circulated water through the system last year--that's all I know-- and the rads cannot be bled as they are painted shut. It seems odd to me that the problem would come on so suddenly.

then it might be old sludge, it might be new sludge, it might be gas in the radiators; it might be valves seized shut, it might be circulating pump worn out; it might be unbalanced system.

Since none of us can see it, and since you can't give any information, the chances of anyone being able to guess the cause are slight.

We would normally clean out old sludge before fitting a new boiler, and add a sludge-trapping device , and add a corrosion inhibiting chemical to prevent the formation of new sludge. We would consider an installer who did not do these things to have done a poor job, and the boiler manufacturer's guarantee would be invalidated by fitting it to an unclean system.

As some of the upstairs radiators it is probably not lack of circulating water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back