DIY rewiring and Building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've rewired the house by myself, new CU, more circuits added, additional sockets, spot lights etc....and placed an application with building control.

Now that I have finished, building control is telling me that they don't have a qualified electrician and I have to find an electrician to certify the work to BS7671 before they can come and make a couple of tests( continuity..etc ) and eventually issue me with a certificate. The lady that will come from building control told me that she is not an electrician but a building surveyor instead !

No electrician I have rung is willing to certify my work. I've now asked to provide them with a periodic inspection which they are willing to accept.

How does this sound to you guys ? Is this happening in other councils around the UK ?

Also, what price would you quote for a periodic for 8 circuits in a small terraced house 2 bedroom ? Do you go over every plug in the house in such a test as one of the bedrooms is stuffed up with things and difficult to get access to plugs etc...

Sponsored Links
Yes, I have already paid £100 for the application. They initially sent me 2 building surveyors that admitted knowing nothing about electrics. I've rung them half way through to inspect first fix, the guy on the phone told me to complete the work and then they will come.

When the last person came they've asked me why didn't I call them to inspect first fix ???

Are they having a laugh or what ?

So can I get my money back ?

I doubt you will get a refund, however it is up to them to oversee the compliance with the building regs i.e. it is up to them to inspect and test your installation. If they cannot do it themselves it is up to them to sub contract at their expense, not yours.

Sponsored Links
On 1.27 of the document you have linked it says that building control will not issue a BS7671 installation certificate.

That's what building control is telling me that they will carry out a few tests but as they are not allowed to issue me with a BS7671 it's up to me to source them with one, thus i have to pay for a PIR.

Also worth a read of the part titled:
Local authority inspection and testing of electrical installation work in dwellings here

On 1.27 of the document you have linked it says that building control will not issue a BS7671 installation certificate.

That's what building control is telling me that they will carry out a few tests but as they are not allowed to issue me with a BS7671 it's up to me to source them with one, thus i have to pay for a PIR.
That's absolutely true, you will have to pay for someone to do a PIR if you want a BS 7671 certificate.

If you don't want one then don't pay for a PIR.

You don't have to have one for the purposes of Building Regulations compliance, or for the council to issue you with a completion certificate.

But even if the council had turned up when they should have done, and inspected and tested, and signed it off without this hiccup you would never have got a BS 7671 certificate. Did you think you would?

Bas,

I spent the whole day on the phone arguing with the inspector from building control as she told me clearly that unless I provide her with a BS7671 she will not sign the completion certificate.

They don't give me a choice to acquire or not a BS7671, building control requires it in order for them to provide me with a completion certificate. She almost warned me that unless I book for a PIR she will be very reluctant coming up and make any tests...

You are now in the position of having nothing to lose - it's not like you're doing building work and need them on your side.

Ask her to quote you a law which says you have to provide a BS 7671 certificate.

Ask her to quote you a law which says that you have to do anything more than make "reasonable provision" in the design and installation etc.

Ask her to explain why she is saying what she is given 1.26 of the Approved Document and ODPM Circular 8/2004.

Make it absolutely clear to her that you know that she is asking for things which are not only not required in law but which are also in contravention of explicit guidance from the Secretary of State and the ODPM (as was), and that you aren't going to roll over.

I'm currently battling over a very similar issue for a mate with Tamworth Borough Council.

They don't like it up 'em Mr Manwearing!

I suspect you have fallen into a trap......see this thread //www.diynot.com/forums//viewtopic.php?t=140424 . Most councils operate a 2 tier application. For £100 they would expect you to fill in the certs and send them off in order to get your compliance cert. Here we pay £66 for Building Control fees andwe fill in and send bs7671 certs. If we want Council to do that we pay £293 and they send a sub contractor to do the tests after inspecting 1st and second fixes.

I think it hardly economically viable for a council to offer 2 visits and and a full days testing for £100

Would Yanni be complaining and fighting the council if he knew he'd told them that the work would be done by someone able to issue an EIC?

I have recently done my own electrics, in an extension for the second time. Both times South Beds Building control have been very helpful, coming out to inspect at first fix. Then sending out an electrician to test when I was finished, all as part of the standard inspection fee for the building work. Even though I know from the paperwork that the testing electrical firm charged them more for the testing the first time, than they charged me to inspect the whole build.

Cheers for that info Trog. So what were the total fees payable for your extension, I would like a comparison for my own council

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back