17th edition regs questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been studying but cannot find the answers to the following questions:-please help with where i can find this info in the regs.

1.The selected size of the protective conductor should be?

a 2.5mm b 4.0mm c 6.0mm d 16mm

2. Where practicable the main equipotential bonding to the gas services in a building should be made within

a 3m of the meter on the supply side
b 3m of the meter on the consumers side
c 600mm of the meter on the supply side
d 600mm of the meter on the consumer's side

Sponsored Links
1) Protective conductor for what purpose?
2) 544.1.2 - Have you read the section on Protective Bonding Conductors??

Well the first question is from a mock paper as it is written, and yes i a have read the earthing section but cannot find the piece where it states what distance the bonding has to be?

Well the first question is from a mock paper as it is written,
It's a trick question - the answer is none of those, it's 25mm².†

and yes i a have read the earthing section but cannot find the piece where it states what distance the bonding has to be?
Has somebody stolen the index, main contents page and individual part contents pages from your copy?

:D

Sponsored Links
There must be more to Q1.
For example:
The protective conductor in a 6mm twin & earth cable could be 2.5mm
The main earth conductor in a TNC-S installation with 25mm tails could be 16mm.

What does your tutor suggest?

Q2, it is in the regs.

Markymark: If you are doing 2382, all the answers, or the info needed to deduce them, are in the regs - you need to go and READ THEM! If there is a section that you don't understand please ask here and I'm sure someone will try to explain.

Simply asking us for the answers leads us to think you are lazy.

I hope these threads are a wind-up. To pass the 2382 you need to know the layout of the Regs; once you know that you need very little electrical knowledge as the answers are often lifted word for word from the Regs. Sadly I suspect that you will pass as the pass mark is scandalously low.

1, 2, 3, and 4 are all protective conductors
1 = circuit protective conductors
2 = main protective bonding conductors
3 = earthing conductors
4 = supplementary protective bonding conductors (where required)
Table 54.1 and regulation 543.1.3 and 543.1.4
But not an option for sqroot I sq times t all over k
Table 54.7 shows greater or equal to 16mm but this is only with a TN supply and 543.2.3 makes it plain it can be under 10mm
Table 54.8 shows 10mm and 544.1.1 shows it a 6mm
So it is 6, 10, or 16mm that’s 6mm for TT supply 10mm with respect to neutral conductor and 16mm with respect to line conductor. And just to throw the spanner in the works “NOTE: Local distributor's network conditions may require a larger conductor”. Which is still part of regulation.
I would say 6mm for TT and 16mm for TN unless it has standby generators or solar power then it’s 10mm. So since looking at min then as asked 6mm? (c)
544.1.2 dead easy (d)
Are you sure you have not missed something off question 1?
Eric

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back