DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Urgent help Please Combi Care Scale Inhibitor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikebh50

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote

Hi
Have just changed the above and we now have no hot water have removed the inhibitor and the hole in the fitting appears to be full of scale (we live in Norfolk so very hard water)is there anything i can do.The water shut off knob below the inhibitor does take loads of turns to turn on or off is this right?
Any help would be great

Thanks
Mike
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
simond

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote

So you have changed your scale inhibitor out, and it is immediately blocked full of scale.

Surely not?
 Alert Moderators
mikebh50

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Hi

Please see pic

If i turn the blue end on the tap below the fitting no water comes out.Now should i have touched this and if not how do i get the water to flow again.

Mike
mike tap
tap
 Alert Moderators
gas4you

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote

Remove the combi care body from the pipe work. You will find that the fitting is completely blocked, by hardened phosphate from the combi care cartridge.

If you can't clean it out you will have to get another.

This is a very common problem with these, although at present I have only had the Sentinel ones block, even though they are the same thing.

Sentinel blame it on the cartidge assembly being less than 1M from the boiler/heat source, but I have had them block at over 3M away icon_rolleyes.gif
 Alert Moderators
Softus

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote

You're right Dave - near me there's an entire estate of them that block up with the CC more than 5m away from the boiler.

In my experience they're fairly easy to clean out, using twist drills starting at about 1.5mm. If access is awkward then it's easier to remove the entire assembly first.
 Alert Moderators
mikebh50

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for the replys i cleaned the small holes out with a twist drill and we now have hot water but i don't know if its worth getting a new fitting as i don't seem to get any water out of the small bleed screw on top of the cartridge so i was wondering if the water was just going striaght up the pipe and missing the cartridge if this is possible.As for distance from boiler the cartridge is under the sink one side of the house and the boiler is in a cupboard upstair right on the other side of the house.

Thanks
Mike
 Alert Moderators
gas4you

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote

These are designed so that nearly all the water bypasses the cartridge and only a very small amount goes through the phosphate cartridge, just enough to mix with the hard water to help stop scale from forming.
 Alert Moderators
oilman

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote

I would change it to a Cistermiser Combimate. They have big holes which dont get blocked.
 Alert Moderators
Softus

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote

mikebh50 wrote:
i don't seem to get any water out of the small bleed screw on top of the cartridge

Did you unblock the vent?
 Alert Moderators
OilLecky

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote

I concur with the above comments on blockage. I had one where the cartridge would not come out as it was jammed, the neck broke off in the end. I removed the whole fitting to clean out the lump of cartridge top and found that it was almost full of whatever is in the cartridge. I changed it all as it was easier that drilling / cleaning. It is easy to see how, if the old cartridge had come out properly and I'd fitted a new one, then a little extra deposit would have blocked the 15mm fitting completely and no water flow just like the OP got!
They must have stayed up all night to design these things! (I wonder if they tested them for say...10years, with an annual cartridge change?)
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: