neutral

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you use the word NEUTRAL this is totally in error in reference to the above. LOOK at what a neutral is designed to do. The neutral carries unbalanced current of circuit. There is no unbalance of current to the subject circuit above. The proper word to use according to the NEC is the White or groundED conductor. Oh, by the way the bare wire is addressed by NEC as the groundING conductor.
T Conlan

Sponsored Links
Heigh Ho John Thomas, this is a UK forum and the electrics are to UK standards.

So 120 - N - 120 dosn't exist. Distribution is at three phase, 400V line - line, 230V line - neutral. All houses are connected single phase 230V + neutral.

And the neutral is coloured black.

Thomasj845 said:
When you use the word NEUTRAL this is totally in error in reference to the above. LOOK at what a neutral is designed to do. The neutral carries unbalanced current of circuit. There is no unbalance of current to the subject circuit above. The proper word to use according to the NEC is the White or groundED conductor. Oh, by the way the bare wire is addressed by NEC as the groundING conductor.
T Conlan
try learning bout UK electrics first

Sponsored Links
I don't care where you are; A neutral is a neutral.
And a neutral conductor is designed to carry unbalanced Electrical Current.
I don't know how I got to the UK but I wanted USA.
Will USA ever respond?
Thank you for the return response. Have a safe and Happy Holiday Season
Tom Conlan

Thomasj845 said:
I don't care where you are; A neutral is a neutral.
And a neutral conductor is designed to carry unbalanced Electrical Current.
I don't know how I got to the UK but I wanted USA.
Will USA ever respond?
Thank you for the return response. Have a safe and Happy Holiday Season
Tom Conlan
you could always start by using the 'electrics outside UK'. or find an american DIY forum

That is typical of Americans, shoot first, ask questions later

Thomasj845 said:
T Conlan

the neutral is the conductor that sits near earth potential.

in british wiring (unlike your american way) most houses are single ended single phase.

in teh grand scheme of things once you get into the wiring in the street (three phase) the neutral is carrying the imbalance but within the house it is carrying the same current as the single phase core

you north americans make heavy use of double ended single phase systems and locally located stepdown transformers to make up for your insanely low phase-neutral voltage

Couldn't have put it better plug. They don't have cable either, what is it they call it......romec or somet??

romex is thier equivilent of twin and earth/three and earth

what i find really scary is thier armourd cable ;)

At least "Plugwash" knows what the neutral is designed for.

Plugwash says:
"neutral is carrying the imbalance"; which is correct.

You Brits have a very nice Holiday Season.

Anybody know How I can get back to the USA? On this thing!

Thanks
Tom

I realize that this is a forum. But Kedsy can you tell me, how to get back to the USA. This is my first time on this DIY.

Kedsy, is an electrical neutral conductor in the UK different from an electrical neutral conductor throughout the world?

Tom, if you click on the "forum index", you will see that underneath "electrics UK", there is "electrics outside of UK". However, this is still a UK-based forum with participants giving whatever knowledge they can on non-UK systems.

I would suggest that you search (google USA etc) for an electrical forum in the states, like this one that I found quite quickly: http://forum.doityourself.com/

I'm sure there are many others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back