what are the rules - mains supply into the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

fairly new to this so probably asking some silly questions but anyway!

basically i need to know if where my electricity supply comes into my house, can i run a pipe (plastic or copper)behind recessed into the skirtiing board or boxed out and insulated/earthed for a radiator further along the wall? the other alternative is to dig a 2m trench in concrete!

see photo attached, hope this helps my description

apologies if im asking a silly question in advance!

Sponsored Links
Don't see any huge issues with that, as long as the pipes are insulated to stop and risk of heat damage to the supply cable.

would it matter if the pipes were plastic or copper?
Could use either. Obviously the pipes must not be near enough to cause heat damage/overheating to the cables. I might be tempted to use plastic but if it's properly installed it shouldn't matter.

Sponsored Links
how big is the gap between the wall and the service pipe coming out of the floor?

If it is more than 15mm, a decent pipe-monkey should be able to run the rad feed behind there.

BTW, it appears as though its an understair cupboard, so whats the point of boxing in just the pipes? sure they'll look neater, but you'll still be left with looking at cables/metre etc on the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back