Should I replace my old back boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's about 30 years old and British Gas, who service it annually, have been telling me for the last 10 years at least, that it should be replaced. But it never goes wrong and just keeps doing it's job year after year. I know it's massively inefficient, but I don't want to replace it with something that's not going to last 5 minutes. What do you think, replace it or wait till it dies?

Sponsored Links
If you have insurance on it wait till it runs out before deciding......

Modern condensing boilers have come on in leaps and bounds, by and large most manufacturers make a decent boiler or two in there ranges these days. You'll find many different views from the guys on here as to which they would recomend but one thing is certain it will save you a fair bit in gas over the coming years if you swap

Thanks for the reply. All the BG fitters who have serviced over the years have said that if I do replace it, I should keep my tank and just get a standard boiler, not a combi. Does that sound like good advice?

Sponsored Links
Keep it.

If BG get sniffy about it, and give you the hard sell for a new one (they will the buuggers!) find yourself a recommended local heating engineer instead.

Your b.b. could last for many more years. The important thing is that it is serviced and CLEANED every 12 to 18 months. That will help ensure its survival.

Don't get sucked into spending money to save money by fitting new boiler (unless you're in the Bristol area, and i'll happily take your hard-earned for a new one ;) )

Keep it.

If BG get sniffy about it, and give you the hard sell for a new one (they will the buuggers!) find yourself a recommended local heating engineer instead.

Your b.b. could last for many more years. The important thing is that it is serviced and CLEANED every 12 to 18 months. That will help ensure its survival.

Don't get sucked into spending money to save money by fitting new boiler (unless you're in the Bristol area, and i'll happily take your hard-earned for a new one ;) )
Thanks for that. I know of so many people who've had trouble with newer boilers that I think I'll just keep this one going as long as I can. As they say, "if it aint broke, don't fix it."

30 year old it will be a 551 maybe a 552. Most of major parts are still avialable excet the combustion box so if you dont have a log term leak that damages it then you should get a good few years yet

Thanks powell 30. Sounds just what my son needs in his house , got a bit upset when I said ..NO to me doing a combi cuz I`m not Gas Safe ...and it`ll save a lot of disruption too :idea:

30 year old it will be a 551 maybe a 552. Most of major parts are still avialable excet the combustion box so if you dont have a log term leak that damages it then you should get a good few years yet
It's actually a Gloworm 240/6 and BG told me years ago that there were no parts available for it anymore. ;)

It's actually a Gloworm 240/6 and BG told me years ago that there were no parts available for it anymore. ;)

thats it settled then....if its a gloworm throw it away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back