Part P Prosecution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has any member of the public been prosecuted yet for ignoring part p ??? Or a business ie a builder

Sponsored Links
I note in the write up it says "The method of wiring used was not in accordance with the British standard." and as yet I have not seen any Part P court case where the work was to standard.

AFAICT nobody is aware of any prosecutions for simply ignoring the notification requirements.

Sponsored Links
"... sub-standard electrical work ... The firm had claimed to be registered with a Competent Persons scheme but this was found to be untrue ..."

So still nothing about anybody ever being prosecuted for simply not notifying.

I didn't think you could be prosecuted for failure to comply with a "British Standard" as these are not law.
They may be used in law to aid in showing compliance with a statutory document such as Part P of the building regs, but I can't see how they can be used by the prosecution to show a non-compliance - unless of course the defendant has made a statement that he complied with them first.

what has that got to do with being prosecuted for failure to notify the LABC in advance of commencing work on notifiable works?

Nothing really, just the document EdwardCurrent linked to at the top says:
"The method of wiring used was not in accordance with the British standard."
Just trying to get it the correct way around in my head as to how the prosecution can use "British Standards" to say things are non-compliant with Part P.

So still nothing about anybody ever being prosecuted for simply not notifying.

Part P is not about notifying as you well know..

the one at the top was prosecuted for failing to adhere to part P in as much as the work was dangerous, the was also fined for 2 other offences of not notifying prior to commencement and not notifying at key stages ( or as they put it in the article "notice of commencement and completion of certain stages of the work")..

Yeah - sorry - there suddenly seem to be a number of threads about Part P, and prosecutions for not notifying - I got a bit confuzzled...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back