Temporary electric supply to new fuse board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Just wanted your thoughts on this one

I am rewiring my house due to only having one socket per room surface on the skirting board :eek: .

I want to leave the old supplies in whilst I wire the new ring mains side by side.

My intention is to install a new board underneath the existing and migrate all of my new circuit into my new CU one at a time.

To energise the board I am going to supply it from a 45A breaker off of the existing and when fully wired in I will then transfer the tails from the old board to the new thus powering down the old installation for removal and make good.

I know it sounds unorthodox but I am really interested to hear how you have overcome this. For instance did you install a Henley block and run new DI tails to the new board.

Sponsored Links
I'm doing something similar. I've taken the supply through Henley blocks to two CUs. When the work is finished, one will be redundant. keeps things simple and safe.

Yes i've done similar on occasions, but usually the way viewer suggests with henley blocks, the way you are doing it will be fine if you don't use or migrate the heavy current (cooker/shower/immersion) you won't end up tripping out your 45A breaker.

Pull out the existing tails and terminate them on a henley, then run 2 x sets, one to each CU.

You then get full use on both boards and don't have to fanny around with load considerations.

Sponsored Links
Yes i've done similar on occasions, but usually the way viewer suggests with henley blocks, the way you are doing it will be fine if you don't use or migrate the heavy current (cooker/shower/immersion) you won't end up tripping out your 45A breaker.

The only really high load in the board is the cooker circuit which will stay put in the old board until I swap the tails. I am working in a tiny under the stairs cupboard and I am 6ft 4" so don't want to hang around under there too long

The only really high load in the board is the cooker circuit which will stay put in the old board until I swap the tails. I am working in a tiny under the stairs cupboard and I am 6ft 4" so don't want to hang around under there too long

Why go for a rewire and retain the rubbish access, wouldn't a more accessible area be more prudent ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back