CHANGING A DOMESTIC FUSE BOARD

totally correct its an offence to tamper with the equipment supplied by the network, this does include the service fuse.
You might think that but I think you are wrong. Lots of people say it, but I have carefully read the Electricity Act a number of times, and interfering with the fuse is not specified as an offence (there are offences relating to interfering with the meter and certain other acts though, depending on what else you do).

There is a difference betwen a criminal offence and a breach of contract.

Sponsored Links
What about

No person shall make or alter a connection from a distributor’s network to a consumer’s installation, ... without that distributor’s consent, unless such consent has been unreasonably withheld.

?

Sponsored Links
What about

No person shall make or alter a connection from a distributor’s network to a consumer’s installation, ... without that distributor’s consent, unless such consent has been unreasonably withheld.

?
I don't see that taking a fuse out meets that.

Which paragraph does it come from?

In the good old days (Eighties and earlier), replacing a fusebox was much simpler, less hassle involved, you could even buy a replacement fusebox, with a detailed instruction book as to how to install it - those were the days.
I remember the adverts from a company called "Re-wire-it!", who would advertise how easy it was to change a fusebox, and even sold all the parts required to rewire a domestic property, specifically targeted at DIY householders, with the one small print "You must call in the local electricity board to make the final connection to the mains!".

In answer to some of the questions (been away visiting family for the day)

I do live in the real world, am aware of the huge number of unsealed cut-outs and in our area, on the whole, who does it (and why).
We do regularly issue warning letters (for what they are worth)

I am not aware of any prosecutions, and any disconnecting is done on safety grounds!

The only real risk of prosecution would be under the Electricity at Work Regs following an incident.

However this is one of those cases where I follow the company line!

(Oh and not all seals are lead)

As regards the earthing, we would normally ensure what was there was maintained. Don't forget that the earth wire from our cable to (say) an earth bar comes under our regs not the 17th edition, so if it is say4mm it is legal! (not ideal but that's how it is)
We have no duty to supply an earth to existing installations only ones installed since the ESCQR rega came into force.

got a link? Is it regulation 35 in your version that makes it an offence? Or does it just say that failure to comply with the regulation releases the DNO from the obligation to provide electricity to the installation? Which is not the same as an offence.

I am reluctant to agree that removing and replacing a fuse is what is meant by "make or alter a connection from a distributor’s network to a consumer’s installation"

IF taking a fuse out is considered to fall under ESQCR 25, THEN it is now an offence under 35.

However I am not convinced that taking a fuse out meets 25.

Is it not altering a connection?

But even if you quibble at that, can you really say that inserting the fuse is not making a connection? If it's not, then why not leave the fuse out? The building would still have a connection to the supply, wouldn't it?

Do you really not think that the distributor would want to retain control over connecting the following to his network:

An installation which had been completely replaced by something he has absolutely no knowledge of?

An installation with a fault which caused his fuse to operate?

is turning off a main switch altering a connection, and turning on a main switch making one? Surely not in the sense of #25

There again, if the consumers installation is still connected to the meter, it is still connected, regardless of the condition of fuses in the network.

Like I say - if inserting the fuse does not make a connection to the distributors network then leaving it out cannot have any inconvenient consequences, can it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back