CHANGING A DOMESTIC FUSE BOARD

Sponsored Links
But you are starting out with the opinion that it is undesirable for people to cut seals and interfere with fuses, which no doubt it is.
No - I'm starting out with the opinion that the network owners believe it to be undesirable.

You think it ought to be illegal, which perhaps it should.
I think that the network owners are very likely, probably to the point of certainty, to want it to be illegal, and very unlikely, to the point of certainly not, to not want it to be illegal.

And given the way you evaded my question about what you thought was most likely, I think you do too.

You have a strong desire for the ESQCR to make it illegal to remove or replace the fuse, so you are determined to read it that way.
I've already said I'm disinterested - please don't call me a liar.

However that isn't what it says. It could have been written that way, but it wasn't.
It is and it was. Given the number of times the Electricity Act and the ESQCR have been amended and replaced, and the considerable industry involvement and consultation that there would have been, and given (I firmly believe) the certainty that the industry would want tampering with their equipment to be unlawful I think it highly unlikely that they would have been refused that desire over and over and over again.

It's not a case of me wanting the ESQCR to make it illegal, it's a case of me recognising that the industry would certainly want it and would almost certainly therefore have got it.

except that it doesn't say so in the Act.

So it isn't an offence.

It seems it does:

No person shall make or alter a connection from a distributor’s network to a consumer’s installation, ... without that distributor’s consent, unless such consent has been unreasonably withheld.

Sponsored Links
I can see that if I dug a hole in the road, and ran a cable to my house from the supply main, that would be making a connection without consent. I would not be surprised to be prosecuted.

but if my houshold CU is already connected to the meter, and stays connected, then taking the fuse out, or putting it back in, does not stop me being connected to the network equipment.

You are grasping at straws if you say it does, and your argument is unconvincing. See if you can find an offence concerning "tampering" or "interfering" that does not rely on Abstraction to make it an offence.

Edited:
But the network is up to and including the meter.
No.

But you are starting out with a strong desire for the ESQCR not to make it illegal to remove or replace the fuse, so you are determined to read it that way.

I am utterly disinterested, so I am looking at it logically, trying to consider the intention.
I find it both tiresome and insulting that BAS assumes he is the only honest man here. I have looked carefully for evidence that removing a fuse is a Criminal Offence, but I have not found it. Nor has BAS shown me anything convincing.

New can of worms

... without that distributor’s consent, unless such consent has been unreasonably withheld.

Bearing in mind the EAWR would it be unreasonable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back