CHANGING A DOMESTIC FUSE BOARD

But the network is up to and including the meter. The connection is made when the consumer's tails are connected to it.

Eh?

Sponsored Links
A new connection is defined in ESQCR 24 as the expression “new connection” means the first electric line, or the replacement of an existing electric line, to one or more consumer’s installations.

Now, that does not mention a cutout or fuse. It could have done so; earlier in #24 it mentions these items as part of the DNO's equipment, so I think the omission is deliberate.

Elsewhere, the point of supply is defined as the outgoing terminals of the metering equipment. It is difficult to see how the connection can be altered by removing or replacing the cutout fuse when the lines between the consumer's installation and the meter terminals have not been touched.

or to put it another way, many people claim it is an offence to take out a company fuse.

No-one can show me a law that says so, and I have looked at the ones that might have been expected to.

Doesn't seem grey to me,

Sponsored Links
No-one can show me a law that says so, and I have looked at the ones that might have been expected to.
I have done.

You just don't accept that it makes it illegal.

Also the seals are not your property, so cutting them would be contrary to The Criminal Damage Act 1971.

But it's all academic until someone is charged with an offence when they cut the seals and/or removed/replaced the fuse and nothing went wrong.

You just don't accept that it makes it illegal.
No, I just don't accept your unconvincing argument that removing a fuse is covered by #25 of ESQCR

It isn't an offence laid down in the Electricity Act either.

If inserting the fuse does not make a connection to the distributors network then leaving it out cannot have any inconvenient consequences, can it.

Inconvenient Consequences ≠ Criminal Offence

But the network is up to and including the meter.
No.

But you are starting out with a strong desire for the ESQCR not to make it illegal to remove or replace the fuse, so you are determined to read it that way.

I am utterly disinterested, so I am looking at it logically, trying to consider the intention.

“supply terminals” means the ends of the electric lines at which the supply is delivered to a consumer’s installation;

“consumer’s installation” means the electric lines situated upon the consumer’s side of the supply terminals together with any equipment permanently connected or intended to be permanently connected thereto on that side;

Which do you think is more reasonable:

1) That the distributors would prefer it to be unlawful for unauthorised people to cut their seals and tamper with their equipment.

2) That the distributors would prefer there to be no legal constraints on unauthorised people cutting their seals and tampering with their equipment.

But you are starting out with the opinion that it is undesirable for people to cut seals and interfere with fuses, which no doubt it is.

You think it ought to be illegal, which perhaps it should.

You have a strong desire for the ESQCR to make it illegal to remove or replace the fuse, so you are determined to read it that way.

However that isn't what it says. It could have been written that way, but it wasn't.

Goodbye.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back