GSHP or gas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am new to the forum so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong area!

I have just purchased a run down cottage/barn which requires renovation. We plan to add an extension and fully convert the attached barn. In the end we think there will be around 250m2 of floor space. The new bits will be insulated to above current buidling regs and the old part will be insulated as best as possible - mainly floor and roof. The house sits in an acre of land. Currently oil CH which does not work. Gas a little way up the road.

We are thinking about our heating arrangements. Quotes to connect gas to the property are around 10000 incl VAT so we were considering a ground source heat pump. We are a young family so like our showers etc and would prefer UFH (at least downstairs).

In general the forum suggests gas is a better option over a GSHP but given our high connection costs does alter things?

Obviously contacting suppliers of gas or GSHP will always be a bit biased.

Our concerns over GSHP are:

1. Install cost (although i'm guessing installation costs similar to gas connection)
2. Ability to adequately heat a house that is not ideally insulated throughout
3. Ability to supply enough DHW for showers without a really long rehet time or lots of immersion use (which seems to defeat the point of a GSHP)
4. Running costs for electricity cf gas

Would welcome your views in this situation.

Joe

Sponsored Links
We are thinking about our heating arrangements. Quotes to connect gas to the property are around 10000 incl VAT so we were considering a ground source heat pump. We are a young family so like our showers etc and would prefer UFH (at least downstairs).
Joe

Pay it. you should be thanking god you have at least the option of a gas connection.

GSHPs can be cheaper to run than a gas boiler if you create a well insulated environment that requires low temperature heating, in other words, underfloor heating.

You can read all you like about the efficiency ratings and how hot they can get the water, all of them will deliver better returns on low temp heating.

Most systems use an immersion heater to top up the hot water temperature and sometimes the heating; compared to the higher capital costs of building a heat pump large enough for the 5 coldest days of the year, this often works out economically.

Personally, I would use an ASHP in preference, I think GSHP have had their day, their efficiency is very little better than ASHP. And they have far more installation issues.

Unfortunately, your question says it all. You want to put in UFH but only on the ground floor, and some parts of the finished property won't (can't?) be particularly well insulated. And you want lashings of hot water.

All of these things make Heatpumps potentially less economically attractive.

Perhaps you should get an oil boiler!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your prompt responses.

We had oil at our previous house and generally found the boilers to be less reliable than gas, more expensive (especially now) and reliant on getting deliveries etc.

We really want to avoid oil but take on board your points about gas being potentially avaiable and the issues with a less than ideally insulated house.

Are there any supporters of GSHP out there (other than the installers)?!

I will certainly look more into ASHP.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back