veissmann vitodens 100 WB1A boiler problems - give up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We had one of these installed about 5 years ago and have had loads of problems with it.

We've had a new control unit fitted (twice!)
a new ignition unit
the heat exchanger has been replaced once and cleaned out about 3 times.
the flow and return hoses have been replaced and the by pass pipe replaced

We had a Magna clean fitted and that is cleaned out regularly. When it is cleaned it isn't that bad. The system has been flushed a couple of times.

The current problem is that we get hot water then it goes cold, then hot then cold again. Showers are not pleasant! Heating is working - thank goodness. We think the heat exchanger is partially blocked (again).

The recommended Veissmann person was due to come on Wed am but never showed and won't return any of our calls. I rang Veissmann's today who promised to come back with a number for someone else - they haven't.

Reading this forum and elsewhere it seems these early vitodens 100 ones have a pretty bad reputation. Someone described them as a car crash. Should we just give up and get a new boiler or should we persevere? I feel like Veissmann's owe us a new boiler!

This is driving us nuts! :(

Thanks for reading!

Sponsored Links
Did it have a 5 year guarantee, and did you alert Viessmann long before it expired?

Hi - no we only had the standard guarantee. Five year was never offered. We were covered by B Gas at the time, so relaxed, but then found out they couldn't get Veissmann parts. Got our money back from them but left us withoutany extended guarantee. Ourt of five year period now in any case.

Hi

We had one of these installed about 5 years ago and have had loads of problems with it.

Thanks for reading!

I am not surprised you have had problems!

Almost all your problems are because you had the boiler installed by a cowboy who did not properly clean the system ( or you would not pay him to ? )

You then blame the manufacturers when its your installer's fault! Will you name your installer?

I have installed about eight Viessmann boilers and apart from the ignition units which I change for the later type at installation, none have yet given any problems!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Gosh Agile (Tony)! That feels a bit harsh!

For the record the installer was not a cowboy, the system was thoroughly cleaned before and subsequently. It was not done on the cheap - At the time we were told it was the best boiler to go for.

Other people have had problems with the early versions of these see here http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews242756.html

But for the sake of argument - given where we are now what should we do rip it out and start again? That's my question.

I'm feeling so down about this

Hi
the heat exchanger has been replaced once and cleaned out about 3 times.
Because the system is dirty/contaminated and needs proffessionally flushing
The system has been flushed a couple of times.
it should only need flushing once if done properly, when its installed.
The current problem is that we get hot water then it goes cold, then hot then cold again. ............................ We think the heat exchanger is partially blocked (again).
yes your probably right, if its blocked the system hasnt been flushed properly! Still!
Sorry but Agile is right, whoever installed it didnt flush it properly, whoever has "flushed" it since still hasn't done it properly. If you get a new boiler, you'll have exactly the same problem!!
It needs flushing properly by someone who knows what they're doing.

Mickyg

Thanks. let's assume that is the problem then

how do I find someone who knows what they are doing? what's the test?

if it is done right will the boiler work ok? or do I need to get the heat exchanger cleaned or replaced. Do I need to go with a Veissmann rec plumber for that?

sorry if these seem daft questions but I'm no expert

BTW I don't mind paying decent money

I can't tell you how to find someone good! BUT folk like myself will carry out a proffessional powerflush and guarantee it . If any of my powerflush customers were to get a return of contamination related faults I would do it again for free no quibble. Luckily thats never been needed. Someone with good powerflushing knowledge should be able to flush your whole system and your boiler, correcting the issue and cleaning the system at the same time. I powerflushed a viessmann a couple months back, they clean up nicely due to the big waterways in the heat exchanger.

See the post on compact boilers for comments on system cleanliness, which is essential. You have had repeated problems with debris in the boiler, and you cannot blame the boiler manufacturer - the boiler was clean and new when it left the factory.

British Gas are in my experience almost incapable of getting diagnoses or part numbers right.

Try Pleasing Plumbing in Islington.

Thanks. It seems there is a consensus that I need a power flush. I'm in south London so Islington too far.

What's frustrating about this is that it has been done twice already. Plus the Veissman person who has fitted all these new parts has not said this is the issue. As a non expert (just a customer) you go with what you are told by the supposed expert. It sounds like we may not have needed all these parts replaced.

Bear in mind that any dirt or debris [or 'carp'!] does not come from the boiler. It comes from your heating system.

The last model Vitodens 100 combi was a bit of a car crash.

However, as mystery man has been saying, your rads have clearly been filling your boiler with crud. Your main problem has been a lazy installer.

Arguably, you might as well put a new one in now...but get the radiators cleaned out properly this time. You definitely don't want a cheap Mr Speedy this time.

i guess the rads are untreated steel inside?

so if they have already started to rust, then if the water is cleaned and treated, arent the rusty rads going to start contaminating the water again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back