Broken tap? Half a turn before any water....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The sink tap in my bathroom has been bugging me for a while now. Time to get it fixed! What happens is, when you turn it on, there's nothing for the first half turn of the tap. Then when the water does come it comes with quite some flow. It's really annoying! The tap does turn off ok. So when i only need a little flow, I tend to turn it on, then pull it towards off until the flow is right.

Is the tap knackered or can I fix this (and if so how)?

Many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Turn off supply, remove innards from tap, strip down, lubricate and reassemble. Suspect jumper is sticking initially, until water pressure eventually forces it up.

Thanks for that guys - very helpful.

Excuse the thick question, but will I need to disconnect the tap from the water pipe or can it be done without having to do that?

Cheers

Innards should undo from tap, after removing the shroud. May need to grip spout to prevent entire tap turning, protect tap using a cloth or towel to prevent damaging the chrome whilst gripping the tap.

Thanks for that guys - very helpful.

Excuse the thick question, but will I need to disconnect the tap from the water pipe or can it be done without having to do that?

Cheers

To get the headworks off you will find there is a thin cap on top of the crosshead. Either it screws on (try first) or it is a push fit to be levered off. Then you will be able to remove the crosshead (securing screw will be revealed) and the shroud to reveal the innards. Shrouds (the bit below the cross head) can also be either screw on or a pushfit. Always try and unscrew first as damage may occur if you try to lever off a screw fitted one. See You tube example

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
That stuff is lithium based

Just confirming - you mean the stuff from Toolstation is lithium based?

Hmmmm, I did not think about the whole drinkable/poisonous aspect. It is the cold water tap in the bathroom where we brush our teeth and get the occasional glass of water during the night. So, just to be sure I'm understanding you right, the silicone greases are not harmful and safe to use on taps you might drink from???

Cheers

If the cold tap in question is fed from the tank in the loft I wouldn't want to be drinking it anyway! (I would check!) :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back