boiler pcb's ref. recon

bab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys whats yer opinion on reconditioned PCB's for boilers. Never felt like chancing em . would like different experience feedback. :?: :D

Sponsored Links
Fine on a stable pcb but wouldn't bother with puma, suprima solo boards etc which are rubbish as designed.

Sponsored Links
ollski said:
Fine on a stable pcb but wouldn't bother with puma, suprima solo boards etc which are rubbish as designed.

All right, I'll comment - What a stupid thing to say

When I repair a puma, Suprima, Solo2 etc ... it works, and it works as a new one would and it has just as good a warranty as a new pcb

at the risk of being called a dinosaur a cowboy and other such insults ( must say I have tried the raden method of gaining new clients just by using insults and so far it has earnt me zilch)

I would not use re con boards, not because I dont have faith in the recon engineers but due to home insurance companies insisting only genuinie parts be fitted within any appliance that they cover.

I have had words with some of the thrid party people we deal with and they say they have NO problem with recon parts as long as WE warrantee them, and there is no way that my bossman is going to warrant someone elses work.

I have in one week fitted fifteen new suprima boards so the thought of a cheap recon does appeal but alas and alack we cant and wont use em.

(sits back and waits for the torrent of abuse)

raden said:
What a stupid thing to say

When I repair a puma, Suprima, Solo2 etc ... it works, and it works as a new one would and it has just as good a warranty as a new pcb

But the new ones are unreliable, poorly designed and built and pack up around the time the warranty expires....thats the point you dope.

I have a different problem with using recon PCBs.

The manufacturers say that only their approved parts should be used and if anything went wrong then CORGI would be after me as well as the boiler owner's solicitor!

There is another problem and thats financial !

As we dont rip anyone off and guarantee our work, suppose we charge our standard diagnostic fee of £84 and fit a new PCB for £100. Thats unlikely to fail but if it did then we would possibly lose £100 and a second visit.

If we charge £84 plus £50 for a recon then if that fails we have lost £50 plus a second visit. However a recon PCB is already about 5-10 years old and must be much more likely to fail as electrolytics are dried out etc. and the chance of us making a second free visit are greatly increased.

We make no profit by fitting new or recon PCBs but we reduce the chance of an unpaid free visit by using new. We sometimes give the client the option if its a very old boiler or the new PCB is stupidly expensive like the Worcester CBi 15.

There is another problem that one of the recon PCB sellers has very questionable business practices! I heard of someone being given a PCB which was different only to find that as expected it did not fit and then they refused to give a refund! Many repairers have no facility to test all the functions on the latest CPU style PCBs.

Tony

ollski said:
raden said:
What a stupid thing to say

But the new ones are unreliable, poorly designed and built and pack up around the time the warranty expires....thats the point you dope.

But then I don't understand your original statement - if a pcb's rubbish by design, what is the advantage of a new one over a recon ?

I must have misunderstood your comment

corgiman said:
would not use re con boards, not because I dont have faith in the recon engineers but due to home insurance companies insisting only genuinie parts be fitted within any appliance that they cover.

not necessarily true - I provide a numbber of companies who work for ins cos - they don't seem to have a problem with that

Some of the insurance companies only pay a fixed price of about £80 per visit to INCLUDE any parts required!

Thats such a stupidly low price that it cannot practically cover the cost of a new PCB. So its not surprising that the firms doing that work use repaired parts.

I would be interested to hear what the boiler owners think of that ! If any insurance company were using repaired parts on my appliances I would be taking them to Court as they are using parts not approved by the Manufacturers !

Tony

raden said:
corgiman said:
would not use re con boards, not because I dont have faith in the recon engineers but due to home insurance companies insisting only genuinie parts be fitted within any appliance that they cover.

not necessarily true - I provide a numbber of companies who work for ins cos - they don't seem to have a problem with that

wow raden that reasoned response was unexpected and most welcome

as agile says they do only pay 80 a pop all inclusive so my guv would love to ue recon from a reputable company, and believe me this is alot of business we are talking about, so drop me an email with the names of the ins co that accept it and i will show him, if its the same ones betcha a quid it will be about four seconds before he is on the phone to you :)

Slightly off topic but you simply don't want to be dealing with these insurance companies, been there done that worn the t shirt, won't touch them with a barge pole. It's their own fault, they offer customers the earth with no knowledge of the gas industry. They don't ask an expert to go and assess the boiler to decide if it is viable, they take all comers and you are left having to work miracles on a Baxi Solo 100 miles away on a Saturday evening for £35.
I wash my hanbds of them and so should you guys.

As a sole trader I would whole heartedly agree with you paul

for a company to turn a profit you need to be able to provide 24/7 cover 365 days a year which means more op's so that you can achieve a huge quantity of visits, add to that you need a HUGE van stock as you want to be hitting first time fixes in nist cases

Insurance work is defo not for a chap on his jack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back